PDA

View Full Version : Pistol shrimp and bristle worms.

BCooksey
04/08/2002, 08:17 PM
I found my very first bristle worm today. I'm not sure how big it is but I would say about an inch or 2. My new pistol shrimp must have stirred him up. He's diggin all over the place. the goby knows he's there but won't go near him. Hopefully they will be buddies soon.

Gary Majchrzak
04/09/2002, 12:16 AM
Back when I started a reef{'93}, I told John at 'Marine Oasis'that I did not have any bristleworms.Then I remember seeing the first one in my tank.They were a bad thing,I was told, back then.My, how things have changed! But I still can't imagine how 12" bristleworms are good for anything other than fishing for 'stripeys'in the oceans' surf!

kcolagio
04/10/2002, 11:35 AM
Here's what I consider a scary thought....

About a year ago, I was at CF and asked about getting rid of them....they made NO mention of the benefits of them, just recommended things to use to get rid of them...

Makes you wonder if they keep up with changes and ideas in the hobby, or just repeat the same old thing.....

*shrug*

ReeferMac
04/10/2002, 12:03 PM
Kevin,

I think it's a little from column A, little from column B. They were laughing at me a few years back when I tried to convince them about DSB's.... Now they're starting to get into them. I think it's normal (to a certain degree), for stores to be behind the times. Scary as it sounds, reefer's on the 'net are far and wide more advanced than most people, places, and businesses out there. A quick read of any recent "SeaScope" should prove that to you :-) THAT'S considered "Leading Edge" information! We're lucky to have this kind of resource and timeliness of information. Hell, back when Guy and Gary were just starting to get into this stuff, they had nothing compared to what a simple query on Google will give you now-a-days. Reference literature from College's was about all that was out there, and even that research was usually dated by 10-15 years.

The Funniest Carribean Story however, was when Chucker and I stumbled on some Spaghetti worms.... they had this tiny pile of tentacles in one of the squares in the acrlyic wall-o-tanks display they have (the invert tanks)... We each got a handful of them for free one day... was what started off my population of them. I almost felt bad telling Dan they sell those things for a buck a piece over the internet.... but then the feeling passed :-).
I like Dan, don't get me wrong, but have bought more useless crap from that store than I care to think about.

- Mac

kcolagio
04/10/2002, 12:11 PM
You mean I'm not the only one? *grin*

I must admit, I have never had a problem with ANY of the live stock I got from them. If the critters/fish had a problem, it was purely my fault.

Equipment though....well....they don't even sell MH ballasts (or they didn't the last time I looked) (not that I'd pay their prices for them if they did). ;)

I like the store, hope it keeps doing well (I will go there for live stock and when I need dry goods fast), but I just can't afford to get everything there.