PDA

View Full Version : Squamosa up on rocks?

Snowsrfr
02/16/2006, 07:01 PM
I currently have a squamosa that's sitting down in my sand bed. He doesn't really seem happy there. At least not as happy as when I moved him up on the rocks while rearranging a few things and he looked much happier. He's in a 65 gallon reef, under 150W 14K MH, and PC's. My question is, will he be O.K. up on the rocks? He sat up there for about a day before I moved him back down into the sand and he actually started to attach himself. Would he be happier in the sand if I put a small rock under him? Thanks again guys.

The steven liu
02/16/2006, 11:24 PM
Why not, get him up there, he's should be fine.

critterkeeper
02/16/2006, 11:30 PM
What does a happy clam look like?

Reagardless, I recommend putting small ones on solid substrates, and then moving them onto sand when they get larger (several inches). They live on both in the wild, but they will typically attach to rocks and such when small, then usually detach when they get big enough to stay in place due to their own weight.

Stephany
02/17/2006, 12:59 PM
I've got mine on the inside of a polished clam shell. Does it have to be roughed up for him to attach? I put a little sand within it...
Sorry for the hijack.

Meloco14
02/17/2006, 01:37 PM
I don't claim to be a clam expert, but from what I've heard most clams don't like the feel of sand under them. Clam experts have recommended putting a rock or shell or something hard under the clam when you have them in the sandbed. This also prevents them from attaching to the bottom glass. As mentioned, in the wild squamosa's will attach to rocks when young, and move to the bottom when they are larger. Crocea's spend their whole lives on rocks, and maxima's actually bore their way down into the rocks so that quite often all you see is their mantle sticking up. Derasa's and gigas spend all of their adult lives in the substrate. So, to answer the OP, yes, he will be fine on the rocks, just make sure he is in a place where he wont fall down, and be aware that he will attach there if he likes it. This will make moving him difficult in the future. This is a big reason why people like to put their clams on a small, flat rock or shell, so they can still move them around. HTH

seamay
02/17/2006, 04:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6760622#post6760622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by critterkeeper
What does a happy clam look like?

Reagardless, I recommend putting small ones on solid substrates, and then moving them onto sand when they get larger (several inches). They live on both in the wild, but they will typically attach to rocks and such when small, then usually detach when they get big enough to stay in place due to their own weight. :D

masharp1126
02/17/2006, 05:38 PM
Once a crocea has attached to a larger rock, is there any tricks to getting off without damaging them?

mbbuna
02/18/2006, 01:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6765757#post6765757 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masharp1126
Once a crocea has attached to a larger rock, is there any tricks to getting off without damaging them?

if the clam is happy then dont move it. but if you really need to then tip it to the side so you can see its byssal threads, then take a sharp knife and cut the threads as far away from the clam as you can.