PDA

View Full Version : Pin point orp monitor

schmcc
02/16/2006, 12:31 AM
Hey does any have any input on this monitor and the readings they might get. I getting a value of 245 which I think aint to good.
Just set up the moniter 24 hr ago. I know at this time that my water quality couldnt possibly be much better and I was looking for 300 to 350 reading.

chucksta1
02/16/2006, 04:22 AM
They take a LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGG time to settle down and read right. Give it at least a couple of days before you hit the ozone. And remember to clean the probe every other week.

schmcc
02/17/2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the repy . I now have a orp reading of 345.Seams like it takes more time to set-in!Since my water quality right now is as good as it could get I plan on wathing this value to make sure all my water changes and maintanance is enough to maintain this value over time,(just swithed tanks form a 150g to a 210 gal. New substrate and all new water.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2006, 12:06 PM
It does take a long time to stabilize ORP readings (days). IMO, the absolute ORP reading also cannot be used to say whether reef aquarium water is "good" or not (unless it is extreme, below 200 mV or above 500 mV both being bad), but trends can be useful.

This article has more info:

ORP and the Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php