PDA

View Full Version : Need help. CAN I ADD FISH????

pennyguy23
02/15/2006, 10:43 PM
I set up the sump of my 120gl which is 100gl sump. That has been running for about a month and half. It cut in half with a ref in the front and overflows in the back. I was going to set up my display tank and put a fish in friday. You see I have an black hawaii trigger coming friday. I know its probably not ok but I do have about 100gl of cycled water and I could tank about 15 out of my 65 and put it in there to. What do you think?

supertech3
02/16/2006, 12:06 AM
Check your water parameters with your test kits or have your lfs do it for you.

piranhaking
02/16/2006, 12:15 AM
you dont need cycled water as much as you need either sand, rock, or filter media if there is any, from an established tank. there will be some free floating bacteria, but most of it will be on surfaces within the tank. It would depend on what you have that you could put in the tank if you could do it or not.

pennyguy23
02/16/2006, 08:51 AM
When I said cycled water, That means the there is Live rock in there. About 150lbs. And overflows with filters. I could easily add him to that. I just wanted to set up my 120 but the fish came in and I grabbed it. I've wanted one for so long I just wanted some input. ANY one else?

BurntOutReefer
02/16/2006, 12:17 PM
are you not going to QT the fish?

pennyguy23
02/16/2006, 08:05 PM
Nope. I don't see a really point in QTing a fish if its the first fish in the tank. DO YOU

Andrew
02/16/2006, 08:08 PM
Yea I do. The first fish in the tank and bring a disease into your tank that may not start showing up on your fish until you have added more fish. You always want to qt all new fish for atleast 4 weeks if you want to make sure no diseases enter the tank. Its easier to qt the fish before he goes into the maintank rather then when he does get a disease in the main tank and you have to pull him out and then put him in a qt tank.

pennyguy23
02/16/2006, 08:13 PM
Its only 15inch high and I wont be adding any fish to it. for a while so I should be ok. But I did make that mistake with blue jaw trigger in my other tank. And Yes it is pain in the butt to get him out. But I don't want to have to put him through the extra stress of acclimating him again. Thanks for the input He will be going in to my 300gl in about 2 months.

Andrew
02/16/2006, 08:16 PM
If you acclimate him right, little stress will be added. Ive qted over 10 fish now and none of them have been stressed to the extreme and none have died during the hypo process. Save the time, acclimate all fish before going into the main tank. This is a mistake many people make and you can prevent problems in the future with diseases in your tank.

pennyguy23
02/16/2006, 10:47 PM
I do acclimate them when first introducing them to the tank. I just don't want to do it three times in 2 months.