PDA

View Full Version : I Dont want my CC/LS anymore...

New-fish-lost-in-sea
04/08/2002, 11:11 AM
Ok im soon to be moving, and that means ill have to take down my reef tank of 100 gl. Right now i got CC mixed with 2 bags of LS. I just want all Sand. So what im wondering is if I can just move and add the new Sand when i set the tank back up? I just want to know how to do this !:confused:

traveler911
04/08/2002, 12:17 PM
Check your lfs. Mine has a net that has very small holes.

You maybe able to use it as a filter. Filter out the san into a bucket and dump the CC into the trash.

Just a thought, don't know if it would work.

cyn
04/08/2002, 12:48 PM
When I changed from cc to sand, I went to the local Walmart and bought a stainless steel food strainer. Used the strainer to sift the sand out of the cc. Worked like a charm. As long as it was new and stainless, I saw no reason not to try.

New-fish-lost-in-sea
04/08/2002, 02:18 PM
Ill see if it works in a few months. thx for the help.
But dose anyone else got any ideas?:rolleyes:

newkie
04/08/2002, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't bother straining, that's a lot of effort for a little LS. If your cc has is established its all basically LS. Even though it doesn't act as a denitrator, is a bit of a detrius trap, and isn't ideal the sand fauna you want to keep are still in there. Its no harm to have up to 10% of your DSB be a coarse grain size. I'd keep maybe 10-15lbs of cc and push it in the back corners, then put the sand on top. The fauna will make it way to the surface and seed the sand in 2-3 months. You should probably help things along by a) trading some sand with local reefers, b) buy some LS from the LFS or MO, c) buy a critter kit such as that from IPSF.com. FWIW