PDA

View Full Version : Is there something I am missing about Refuge's and Copapods

RobbyG
02/14/2006, 02:11 PM
I am a bit baffled by recent events, I have a 30 Gal Sump that has a nice Refuge area that is planted out, and has a good sand layer bottom. It's a typical 3 compartment Sump with a overflow from the Refuge compartment into the Return area.

I decided to go out and get some Pods to seed it, I found a jackpot spot that had lots so I got about 8 Tablespoons worth, which looks like a few hundred thousand pods. So I turn off all pumps and put them in the refuge, at this point my white sand bottom in the sump looks like a orangish haze as about the first 3 inches is crawling with pods. I leave them in to settle down with the pump off for 30 minutes, then I switch it back on.

As expected a few thousand get swept into the tank immediately and the fish go nutt's! After 2 hours my royal grammers, Clowns and Mandarin fish look so Banged bellied that they can barely swim. After the feast I go out and look at the sump and 90% of the Pods are still in there and still swimming near the bottom.

A few hours later I turn off the Refuge lights and all of a sudden thousand of Pods come streaming into the Tank! I quickly switch the light back ON and the Jets of Pods entering the tank slowly cease after a few minutes. I look back at the sump and about 70% of my pods are left. My refuge is on a controller and is set to power off the lights at 5am and Power back on at 11am so I am a bit nervous about what's going to happen in the morning but decide to leave everything in it's normal state and go to bed.

In the morning I wake up and look in the Tank and I see very few pods in the water, I look at the Refuge and to my amazement there are no pods left, Zero that I can see, what the bleep happened to my pods? I assume that when the light wen't out at 5am they rose up to the surface and got swept into the Tank but I don't see them in the Tank!

I guess my question is, If the Pods move up to the surface in response to light, how do you guys prevent them from all going into the Tank? I know they will find there way back to the Refuge via the overflow but these guys just seemed to all disappear. Is there a special design that keeps the masses from getting pulled in to the return? Do you guys just leave your lights on all the time? I am very confused and need a better Grasp on this before I get more Pods.

Thanks for any help.

Waxxiemann
02/15/2006, 01:13 PM
Awesome question. I would love to know the answer to this one as well.

Pandora
02/15/2006, 01:20 PM
But pods are not phototropic. Like many nocturnal organisms, they move away from the light. Even if they moved towards the light like brine shrimp, they would not all be gone at once, usually there's plenty hiding in the rock. I suspect that's what happened.

OldmillXxX
02/15/2006, 01:25 PM
My guess would be that they are hiding in and around your live rock. If all lights were off, they probably went into hiding.

Do you run a skimmer? Have you checked it?

diddye
02/15/2006, 01:30 PM
maybe the flow in the fuge is too strong. make sure theres some macroalgae so they can cling to something

RobbyG
02/15/2006, 05:10 PM
They where fine with the water flow while the lights where on!
It's only when the lights went out that they disappeared.
Strange thing is that the Copepods website says they will rise up when the lights are on, I found the opposite to be true, but in any case it's still a problem if they rise up in response to the lights changing as either way they all get sucked into the overflow. Has anyone had a different experience?

RobbyG
02/15/2006, 05:12 PM
Yes the skimmer output looked heavier but not by much! I saw no Pod Bodies in the skimmate but maybe they dissolved already.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6747302#post6747302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OldmillXxX
My guess would be that they are hiding in and around your live rock. If all lights were off, they probably went into hiding.

Do you run a skimmer? Have you checked it?

JKH
02/15/2006, 05:45 PM
In my experience, pods dont seem to like just a sandy bottom. Mine like to crawl around rocks so my fuge has some sand with quite a bit of rocks(mostly rubble with a few good sized pieces) Plenty of rocks are the key in my opinion.

rtr

RobbyG
02/16/2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks JKH I will move some more rock into the sump and see what happens with the next batch.

mille239
02/16/2006, 12:02 PM
Yes, that is good advice.. pods like rock rubble, and coarser substrate... ever think of shipping some pods to us friends in the North???

RobbyG
02/16/2006, 02:54 PM
LOL wish I could, I would be Rich! Not to mention the Tons of other goodies that are even better :)