PDA

View Full Version : my algea has been hualted

MOX
02/13/2006, 10:46 PM
well from the photos i had taken 10 days ago i noticed my tank has changed dramaticly have a look beforehttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110373clown1.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110373cyano_bacteria1-med.jpg and after a bit of change although most of the hair is still left un touched its looking nice i think, any suggestions on a fish that will eat it http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110373fulltank.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110373tank2-14-06.jpg my parameters are still all reading 0 ppm with just a small amount of ammonia almost have my vho hood complete that will make a world of change

oh ya i also found what looked like a mulusk shell not shure of spelling as i always spell bad but will these harm any thing i havent seen any alive just shells

fishesRdelicious
02/13/2006, 10:53 PM
wow, that looks a lot better
if that is a 75 then try a tang to keep the algea in check
that macro algea should also help stop the algea from growing
should look even better when you put the vhos on too

Reef_Dweller_69
02/13/2006, 11:20 PM
What did you do to get rid of the hair algae, did you boil the rock?

zooqi
02/14/2006, 10:19 AM
I think is the bio load that he got from FRD. The tank was cycling and I did not see much of life in it when I was there. Combination of cleaning crew and bio load from the algae probably helped. Did you cut your light cycle ?
The left over algae then might start turning brown and deattache if there is not much nutrition left for them. Looking good and please keep us updated. Thanks for the photos.

spoon25
02/14/2006, 11:26 AM
yeah it looks alot better from the first pics....i have a 75 aand its been cycling for 3 months now... i had a question does it make a world of difference on how much live rock you use in a tank...i mean i have about 170 lbs of live rock in my tankabout 40 lbs of sand and another 30-40 lbs of shells in the 75 and is it gonna take alot longer to cycle then the 75 pictured above....????

XeniaMania
02/14/2006, 11:35 AM
Huh...I always thought rule of thumb was 1-1.5lbs per gallon. *shrug*

spoon25
02/14/2006, 11:44 AM
yeah i thought that too but i have this theory im tryin...i want the total ecosystem...i want bugs, worms, bacterial growth everywhere....i dont wanna feed my tank, i want too feed themselves..everyone i guess has different goals they want with there tank...whether its coral or fish only or both...i just like all the interesting creatures i actually bought a microscope to check out the bacteria an small critters...its kinda cool to watch...but my question about the amount of rock still mainly pertains to zooqi condering hes the only one i can actuallly trust sonce we both like the all natural systems idea...i understand some rock is more dense then others but all my rock is mixed density...i have a few huge acropra shells...like to have a huge brain shell for looks as the live rock....just like watchin fish swim through rocks...kinda fun to watch..

Reef_Dweller_69
02/14/2006, 12:36 PM
spoon25:
When you say natural system what exactly do you mean by that? I consider my system an all natraul system since I dont use any chemicals in it. All thats in it is LR,LS ( no pods though need some).

spoon25
02/14/2006, 12:50 PM
well, lets see...i mean LR and LS crushed corals, shells, no bio balls, no chemicals except salt mixes, no filters, no canisters, no uv unless i have a major problem same with the canisters i have 4 of em sittin around somewhere just in case i get a plague of some sort to be able to filter out the water in a jiffy would like to get a wave machine get rid of the powerheads, try an make it more oceanlike...lol...i did have all those things hooked up and couldnt understand why i was killin all the bacteria and everything in my tank, i couldnt even get algae to grow let alone anything else, i was filtering everything out of the water...even nutrients and such..it was bad i killed everything except the fish...and some of them even jumped out i didnt think those dang gobies wanted to be in there any longer....lol

MOX
02/15/2006, 12:38 AM
ya i cant realy say how long it would take to cycle honestly i dont know if mine has their are still a couple areas of cyano and the hair algea but i havent had and spikes in ammonia,nitrate,nitrite.

but for the hair algea i stoped down to the local fish store and saw they got a mess of tangs in i had my pick of several

pardon me i mean my wife had the pick lol but we ended up geting a kole about 2.5 inchs long and a skinny belly

another ? i have is should i introduce nori to him i have read that other had a hard time geting their tangs to take nori and other saying that it took almost a month for them to take it, or should i just let him go to town on the rock for a few days gimmy a heads up they have a nice looking clown tang down their i know their a pricky fish but very nice looking.

spoon i am not shure being that i am new to the hobby but i cant imagine being able to run a 100% self run tank other than water changes if you want more than just a couple fish i am willing to bet you will have to feed now and again

fishesRdelicious
02/15/2006, 06:04 PM
thanks mox for the heads up on the tangs, just got back from the store with a yellow tang
i have been looking for one for a decent price for months

MOX
02/15/2006, 10:42 PM
not a problem thats what i wanted but part of the deal for me geting the tank was id let her pick the fish

hell any marine fish is 10 times nicer than the most beautiful freash water fish so i made that deal