PDA

View Full Version : Who makes corner overflow boxes?

Tcook
04/07/2002, 07:53 PM
Any companies or DIYs at RC? I have a 55 AGA that I want to drill and set up in my office. Thanks.

salmon alley
04/07/2002, 08:39 PM
Tom-
Try here:

http://www.wetdryfilter.com/internal_overflow_boxes.htm

I've never ordered from them, but maybe someone else can give you some input. I'm sure there are DIY plans floating around somewhere as well.

HTH

Tcook
04/08/2002, 11:08 AM
Thanks Salmon.

repeat
04/08/2002, 09:06 PM
Who makes corner overflow boxes? You can and I found it fairly easy. You could make two for less than $20, maybe even $15. A local acrylic shop can cut the pieces for you, but if you have a table saw, it is better if you do it. You can use a blade for plywood and thin plastics. The notches can be made buy placing three or four blades together and cutting to a premeasure depth. (Put the better blades on the outsides) You can get the glue and applicator at the shop and they can show you how to do it. Get some scraps (often free) to practice on. I got it right on the second try and only wasted about $4 worth of plastic. Then just silicone into place. (practice this too, use your glued scraps). I also had a tank drilled many years ago buy a LFS that made tanks. MAybe you have one in your area. They could do the overflow also.

Tcook
04/08/2002, 10:39 PM
I got excited for nothing:( The bottom of my tank is tempered, so I will go the hang-on route.

kgross
04/09/2002, 03:05 AM
Tom,

You can always drill the tank in the back or the side and still have an internal overflow. I have done this on quite a few tanks with no problems.

Kim

afss
04/09/2002, 06:51 AM
I got a couple of 10 gallon refugiums. They are drilled in the back about an inch below water line (if i did it again i would drill around 2 inches down) . I made some really cheap and effective overflow boxes for these from a small margarine type container. I got one with no writing on it. I cut it into 4 quarters. I put some silicone on the edges and placed each one in a crnoer of the tank where the hole was. I didn't cut ridges/teeth into the top edge, but you easily could. They work great, and are smaller than a top to bottm box as they only go about 1-1.5 inches below the hole out.

If you have any questions about them let me know.. i'll see what i can do about some pics.
Scott