PDA

View Full Version : ReefCam!

dmorel
04/07/2002, 07:45 PM
OK,
bryan ran a network cable for me this weekend that did not go across my living room floor, which means...

the reefCam is on (http://morelweb.com/reef/reefCam.html)

I know it's lame and all, but hey it's a live tank cam...

Zmann
04/07/2002, 08:07 PM
Sweet!! Blury or not very cool.

ReeferMac
04/08/2002, 06:01 AM
Hmmmmm... I wonder how many frags it would take to get Bryan to help me run Cat5, Coax, and Phone Line up to the Bedrooms in my house ...

- Mac
(wondering if he'll get around to all those "winter projects" next year...)

dmorel
04/08/2002, 09:42 AM
Unfortunately (for me) the applet that I am currently using (from webcam32) does not work behind my xerox firewall so I can't watch my tank from work this way.

I will continue to work on it until I find a solution that streams behind the firewall, which might be tough. If not I will have to go with the static images being updated, which is a solution I am not excited about.

-dm

Stoli
04/08/2002, 09:56 AM
Too cool for words. Can't wait till the rest of the lights come on.:cool:

ReeferMac
04/08/2002, 03:36 PM
Linky no Worky:

"Applet JavaCamPush class JavaCamPush could not be loaded"

- Mac

saltwaterfishlover
04/08/2002, 03:55 PM
Hey Dave the reflection of the tank shows you in bed is this a good or bad thing?

dmorel
04/08/2002, 04:39 PM
mac,
A:from where are you trying?
B:what browser are you using?

I am making a non java updating still image page now...

saltwaterfishlover,
that's NOT a good thing :)
when did you see that I haven't been there since 5:30 am...

-dm

dmorel
04/08/2002, 05:31 PM
Well,
there are some issues with the streaming.

In particular the fact that I can't watch is while behind the Xerox firewall is the major issue.

So, I just whipped together a version that does static refresh
(by whipped together I mean I cut and pasted some javascript I found on the web)

View The Static Image with Refresh Page Here (http://morelweb.com/reef/reefCamStatic.html)

ReeferMac
04/08/2002, 06:30 PM
mac,A:from where are you trying?
Both work and home, I get the same thing... page loads, but just a white box where the image is supposed to be.

B:what browser are you using?

Tried it with Netscape 4.72 here (win2K), IE 5.5 at work (OS X), and Netscape on our Server (4.72 on Solaris 7 - which I know has J2EE installed)

- Mac

dmorel
04/08/2002, 06:44 PM
I have seen some known issues with ie4.x and I know that from work can be a problem if you have a firewall in place, but it should have worked for you with that configuration from home.

Can't dig into it now, I have to walk out the door in 15 minutes, but I am going to look into a different streaming solution anyway, since I do want to be able to get it from work.

Thanks for giving me the report.

-dm

ReeferMac
04/08/2002, 07:04 PM
Thanks for giving me the report.

No propblems... next time buy a Mac and use Quicktime :mixed: :artist:

- Mac

BCooksey
04/08/2002, 07:04 PM
Hmmmmm... I wonder how many frags it would take to get Bryan to help me run Cat5, Coax, and Phone Line up to the Bedrooms in my house ...

Mac, you have my attention. My MH is on the way so i'll need some sps for sure. I'll have to look at your house to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. As long as your house isn't circa 1820 we should be just fine. Send me and E-mail and we'll set up an estimate.:)

Dave. the front shot isn't so great, but I can see that big old goni pretty well. The camera definatly doesn't do your reef justice.

Bryan

dmorel
04/08/2002, 09:57 PM
I shall not turn this into a mac vs. windows vs. linux discussion.

Bryan,
the shot does suck.

WARNING: If you were going to buy those xcams that keep popping up ads all over the place so you could spy on your hot babysitter or whatever, just imagine how dispointed you will be looking at a pic as blurry as the one on this page.

That being said, I am happy to be able to check out my tank from anywhere at anytime. So I can live with bad picture quality.