PDA

View Full Version : How many agree, North Central PA is in need of a good SW aquarium Store..

zooqi
02/12/2006, 09:50 PM
I'm tired of driving hours to get to a good store. This area is in need of a good store where other reefers withing hours drive to here.
Good store with
good area
good display tank
healthy fish
healthy corals
tons of different clownfish :)
good prices
nice color corals
frags
help educating public and get involve with local clubs
friendly
knowledge
did I miss anything else..

what do you guys think?

fishesRdelicious
02/12/2006, 09:51 PM
mo, i keep telling you to start one up

bmac
02/12/2006, 10:42 PM
Mo, you are right I know 3 people who could make one work !!!!!!

Reef_Dweller_69
02/13/2006, 12:39 AM
Sounds like a plan to me Mo. That has been my thinking for the past year. Remember I had told you about my idea last month. When you openning shop? :D

zooqi
02/13/2006, 12:59 AM
I did not say I will open one but said ," we need one " anybody with $$ :)

Reef_Dweller_69
02/13/2006, 01:04 AM
LOL :D

shimmy_yaz
02/13/2006, 05:19 AM
Yeah we defintly need a good store in this area. All the ones we have around here don't have crap for selection and the people that run them either have little clue what they are doing or just don't really wanna bother answering questions. So when is the grand opening Mo? LOL sorry had to.

zooqi
02/13/2006, 09:35 AM
you tell me when your money is ready. I'm broke and I spent all my money on good stuff.
http://www.zillions.org/Weeklies/Money/Images/Money001.jpg

http://www.joefire.com/psglibrary/graphics/broke.jpg

shimmy_yaz
02/13/2006, 10:37 AM
www.BankofAmerica.com

www.citibank.com

www.wellsfargo.com

They all have lots! lol

shimmy_yaz
02/13/2006, 10:39 AM
Actually seriously if I had the knowledge to do it I would love to start a saltwater business. I have grown up around businesses all my life and have a really good idea of how things work on the business end. Just unfortunatly not in a position for such an adventure.

zooqi
02/13/2006, 10:43 AM
:) you got that right.

spoon25
02/13/2006, 05:54 PM
i could say thats agreeable...i think i spent about $4000 so far and the only thing nice i have so far is algae...lol i feel swindeled, roofed, suckered...need i say more...

zooqi
02/13/2006, 05:59 PM
you needed a good advice when you started and I did see some of the stuff you have been sold by LFS.
your algae should bring life to your tank and is time for me to come and check it out.

spoon25
02/13/2006, 06:06 PM
wanna go have a couple coldies at halls tonight, you could shoot over and check out the tanks while your down here....am i gonna get an RO/DI unit...its been like 6 weeks or so ...lol...

zooqi
02/13/2006, 06:16 PM
Thinking about it and will know at 7 if I'm leaving. I have to get my frag tanks ready for corals tomorrow and will see. Will let you know around 7 or a little after 7.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/13/2006, 06:46 PM
Well what would be the least that it would cost to start a store. Like shimmy I have a lot of exsposure to business and running one. Just don't have the falous (money) to make such a move. If I had it I would definately do it. We really need it around here.

MOX
02/13/2006, 10:02 PM
hmmm the idea has also past through my mind but as mo said cash is always an issue.
i also think that dogs/cats bring a massive amount of people and quite frankly i dont want involed in pet that u can go to jail if they are misstreated or get sick.
but i dont think a marine store alone can even stay afloat in this area not many people involved.
another issue would be paying help, if you want help that will acctualy know what they are doing they need more than 7 bucks an hour.

as sad as it is i think the - out weigh the +

but if some one was thinking about it i would gladly quit my job and start asap lol

zooqi
02/13/2006, 10:23 PM
People travel far for good store. Having store open just in the weekend is a good idea and this way you have time to clean, and cut that much expense that it might be involve if you open all week. If is the weekend people look forward to go there. If is open daily usually there are local people coming and looking around and not much to buy. If they need good stuff they can wait untill the weekend. Phone answering is a good idea too.

fishesRdelicious
02/13/2006, 10:37 PM
opening only on weekends is deffinately the best way to go,
you know i will work for you, 15 bucks an hour though:D

bmac
02/13/2006, 10:40 PM
I have been wanting to do a store for a while now myself...

Reef_Dweller_69
02/13/2006, 10:44 PM
Yes weekends is the way to go as Mo pointed out. It cuts down the exspenses as well as the floater by's ( window shoppers that never buy anything). When people got o a shop on the weekend they' re usually wanting to buy a particular item. Weekends and speacial order, with a phone service is the least exspensive way to go as well as being the most cost productive way. People will travel miles and hours to get a good product.

zooqi
02/13/2006, 10:44 PM
I can do it and have most of the stuff needed and more but don't have time for it and to set it up. Finding a place is a problem and it has to be cement floor too.

fishesRdelicious
02/13/2006, 10:45 PM
what about ron's old place?

zooqi
02/13/2006, 10:56 PM
is still available and I checked it but since Ron was there the Central Air is really bad and it needs alot of work but that is possible. I have made few phone calls about that place before.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/13/2006, 11:08 PM
See what happens when you put a few minds together on the same topic :D

reefinnewb
02/21/2006, 03:13 PM
I also agree. There is nothing good around here, the only good one im aware of around here is Millers in bloomsburg.

shimmy_yaz
02/21/2006, 03:24 PM
I don't like Millers. I stopped in there to inquire about purchasing a tank and to ask him a few questions and he basically acted like he didn't care if he had my business and didn't seem to want to answer my questions. As I was talking to him he recieved a phone call, which would have been fine. if it wasn't for the fact that judging by the conversation it was one of his friends and he proceeded to talk to him for like 5 minutes while I stood there. I will not buy anything from that place now and it is a shame since it is pretty much the only local shop.

reefinnewb
02/21/2006, 03:43 PM
I take a drive all the way to lancaster to get my stuff. That Pet Place is pretty good. They answer any question you have. Good live stock too.

MOX
02/21/2006, 05:01 PM
as for millers being on of the best places yes it is but out of the 2 guys that work their one is very people freindly the other is a lush. I won't point fingers or say names but you do the math. That fish place is good for hard goods but i dont really care to do buisness with a wholesale lot that kills more fish than they sell. The week end thing is a hot idea and how big of a place do you think you would need. My landlord works on central air units for a living I might be able to have him take a look for an estimate or something. i think anyone of you guys could knock millers out of the picture with out any problems I certianly know I would stop going to millers less they provide free beer ha ha ha!!!!