PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new fish, whats cool & compatible?

Diego
02/11/2006, 01:11 PM
125g

A. looking to add something larger, easy to keep, colorful and out swimming all the time
Needs to get along with my following peaceful community:

flameangle
t.r. clowns
royalgramma
6 black-axil green chromis,
2 PJ cardinals
purple firefish
2 chalkbass
yellow watchman goby
green mandarin

B. Do you think I can add a bangaii to my 2 Pyjama cardinals?

C. Do you think I can add a Coral Beauty to the Flame Angle?

D. Angels or Tangs, which are (in general) easier?

E. Is Ich a constant problem with Angels and Tangs? Or just luck on purchase? I wouldnt expect much stress in my tank if I got the right one.

nwrogers
02/11/2006, 02:07 PM
I would go with a tang...

Hippo Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma veliferum)
or
Atlantic Blue Tang - (Acanthurus coeruleus)

They are all peaceful fish. Here are some other really attractive fish my wish list. All peaceful...

Anthias
Dispar Anthias (Pseudanthias dispar)
Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)

Wrasse
Scott's Fairy Wrasse - (Cirrhilabrus scottorum) (Australian)
Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura)
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)

Dartfish
Firefish, Purple (Nemateleotris decora)
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish, Lyretail (Ptereleotris hanae)

Jawfish
Blue Dot Jawfish - (Opistognathus species)
Jawfish, Yellowhead (Opistognathus aurifrons)

Blennies
Barnacle Blennies (Acanthemblemaria sp.)
Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)

Hopefully this helps...

Nate

Diego
02/11/2006, 03:21 PM
I did not think anthias and wrasses were peaceful.

Diego
02/11/2006, 03:28 PM
anyone see any Dispar Anthias in the BUF area?

Thanks for the tips. They look cool. How many in a "Group"?

LUCKYLATO
02/12/2006, 09:35 AM
Depends on the tang some tangs require alot of work.

crp
02/12/2006, 10:56 AM
I have a blue hippo, sailfin, and naso tang as well as a foxface in my 125g. All get along fine. I've had the blue and sailfin for about a year. I just added the foxface (replacement for one I lost a few weeks ago) and the naso. The sailfin and my clowns are a little nasty when I first add fish but usually after a day or two they calm down.

I also have:

red firefish
purple firefish
2 green chromis
2 perc clowns
six-line wrasse
lawnmower blennie
cleaner shrimp
fire shrimp
and of course the variety of snails and crabs and brittle starfish.

Everyone gets along fine and no one bothers my corals.

Ich is only a problem if you don't QT!

Carrie

nwrogers
02/12/2006, 06:36 PM
The anthias and wrasses I listed are peaceful fish. Not all anthias and wrasses are but those should be fine. The Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma veliferum) is a peaceful fish however the Desjardini Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma desjardini) is usually not. Tangs are more work at first and can become territorial but are very very cool. Arguably the most beautiful reef safe fish you can add. The anthais are very cool too. If you go for the Dispar Anthias I would get two. They are hermaphroditic and largest of the two will morph into a male and the smaller will become a female. Very cool fish and a great choice!

Szwalla
02/12/2006, 06:48 PM
What is the limit for fish in a 125 gallon tank? I was told once that you measure by total inches of fish(x) per gallons(y). What the values were, I forget.

75galreef
02/12/2006, 07:05 PM
We have a Coral Beauty, Yellow Tang, Foxface Tang, and a Naso Tang in our 120 with 2 Percula Clowns, Mandarin, and Diamond Goby. The Naso is maturing and getting some awesome color in his mane.

Diego
02/14/2006, 09:19 AM
I saw some "Pink" anthias at the LFS. Unfortunately, no where do I find a fish called 'pink' anthias. Anyone see them at the Fish Place and know what the might be? They look very much like the picture in scott michalsens's book for the Dispar, but nothing like the Dispar pictured in Drs F&S catalog.
Any ideas?
Anyone have a pipc of their dispar?

thanks!

nwrogers
02/14/2006, 09:38 AM
You cannot trust the pictures in Drs F&S catalog. Many of them are Photoshoped until they look nothing like the actual fish you are buying. Some photos are better than others but I would recommend running an image search on Google to find out what a real Dispar Anthias looks like…

Diego
02/14/2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the help! Really appreciated. The closest Anthias picture I could find is a female dispar. I bought 3 (1 large, 2 small) so lets hope for the best.

nwrogers
02/14/2006, 01:29 PM
Will do and let us know how it goes. Where did you buy them from?

Diego
02/14/2006, 06:57 PM
I got them at The Fish Place in N Tonawanda.

As far as my other Q's are concerned, anyone have any input?:
B. Do you think I can add a bangaii to my 2 Pyjama cardinals?

C. Do you think I can add a Coral Beauty to the Flame Angle?

Szwalla
02/14/2006, 07:40 PM
Hello again...I am sorry to keep hitchhiking on this thread...I am glad to hear that multiple tangs can live together.

nwrogers
02/15/2006, 08:49 AM
Szwalla:

They should be added at the same time. If not you will have to rearrange the rockwork right before you add the new tang. Tangs will fight each other to protect their territories. If you rearrange the rockwork then you can sometime trick them into have to create a new territory. I am guessing this may not always work and you still want to have a big enough tank. I have never attempted this so I am going on other people’s experience. Also I wanted to take back my advice on the Sailfin tang. They are too big for a 125 and I should have never recommended one. Beginner’s mistake, sorry about that…