PDA

View Full Version : Live rock curing question please help!

msudawgs56
02/11/2006, 11:01 AM
Ok, this is my situation. I just got my Lalo premium uncured live rock from www.liveaquaria.com . I must say that there are some beautiful coroaline algae on these pieces. I scrubbed off the dead black snotty looking stuff. I removed sponges that were on there too. I have them in my new 46 bow on eggcrate so water can flow around all sides. Now, I know how to watch the ammonia, cycle process.

MY question is that it doesnt look like there are alot of dead spots on this rock, but will i lose all the coraline algae on this rock? I was told not to run lights during the cycle/curing. Will this kill all this beautiful coraline? The lights i have now until i get my new lights are 2 standard flourecent lights with reflectors(420 actinic and 6700k 55 watt total)

Should i run lights at all, will this light keep the coraline alive till my new lights are bought? I just dont wanna run the lights and cause a huge algae bloom.

Thanks for your help.

Aadler
02/11/2006, 11:12 AM
you wont kill off all the algae, it will come back in time.

PPi
06/02/2007, 01:35 PM
i too purchased 35 lbs of lalo and 22lbs of fiji. Mine turned all to white and is now starting to come back after a month of curing.

PPi
06/02/2007, 01:36 PM
i too purchased 35 lbs of lalo and 22lbs of fiji. Mine turned all to white and is now starting to come back after a month of curing. I didn't run any light until week 3 and had only one quarter size outbreak of hair algae.

Criminal#58369
06/02/2007, 05:34 PM
Can you post pics of your lalo? Would like to see what it looks like from LA.

demonsp
06/02/2007, 06:03 PM
Exposure to the air is the worst . With less time out of water good water readings , flow and light you may save some but like they say it will grow back. Ill bet its nice rock though.