PDA

View Full Version : opinion on MH ballast

BCooksey
04/06/2002, 10:31 PM
Hi all,
I'm planning to add a 175w MH to my reef. Wondering if these are junk or not so bad.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=RB-175H&Category_Code=lnhalide

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=LN-H175&Category_Code=lnhalide

I also looked at the PFO E ballast. It's more money but is it worth it?

Thanks,
Bryan

Zmann
04/06/2002, 11:16 PM
Junk compared to an Icecap. The link I'm giving you has awesome deals on Icecap ballasts with an Aqualine 10k bulb. $159 for the bulb and the ballast.
http://www.oceanencounter.com/[/URL]

Stoli
04/07/2002, 05:00 AM
Wow! I just priced out the following upgrade I'm planning.
2x250 MH Icecap Ballasts (USA/German)
1 Icecap 660
2x250 Watt MH Bulbs either blueline or Aqualine Bushke

At Ocean Encounter: $631
At Marine Depot: $713
At Premium Aquatics: $739.75

The difference in prices almosts seems to good to be true.

ReeferMac
04/07/2002, 06:48 AM
Those are decent prices Stoli!
I've got an old-fashioned Tar ballast for my MH's. Got it from Champion Lighting for a decent price, it's made by Hamilton, and has been running 12hours/day for about 3 years straight now, and I've never had a problem with it. I have an Icecap Electronic Ballast for my VHO's, and likewise, haven't a single bad thing to say about it. I had heard that early on the electronic MH Ballast's had troubles (flicker), but that seems to have been cleared up with any of the new one's folks are buying. I would not get a used setup, but wouldn't be afraid of buying an electronic MH Ballast... however if it were my money, I'd only get an Icecap I think.

- Mac

drtango
04/07/2002, 06:52 AM
Stoli-

Whatever you do, stay away from Blueline. Recent review of bulbs in Marine Fish and Reef annual (magazine--available at Barnes and Noble etc) is worth looking at. Bluelines were awful, spectrum like Radiums but PAR almost nonexistant. Aqualines got a very good rating, PAR was quite close to Iwasaki. I swapped my 250 Iwasaki for Aqualine and have been very happy. Got mine at Ocean Encounter. Coral coloration is awesome. This is what happened to a light (almost brown) purpletip acro after about 6 weeks. AB are ice white with a hint of blue, have an excellent UV output which I think is important in coloration.

Cant beat ocean encounter's pricing.

JT

ReeferMac
04/07/2002, 07:18 AM
Damn, those are nice Acro's JT! I vote you should have the next meeting :-) Everyone's already seen my tank at least a couple times... ;-)

- Mac

Stoli
04/07/2002, 08:16 AM
Ditto on those acros. Any time you want to swap for a frag of a blue tip staghorn, let me know.

I guess the decision is clear. Icecap 250s with AB 10K bulbs. The prices at OE seem almost too good to be true. Makes me a little nervous.

BCooksey
04/07/2002, 10:26 AM
How hard are the Ice Cap's to tune if you wanted to change to a xanium H2 15000k down the road? Do you have to send them in?

drtango
04/07/2002, 10:37 AM
Thanks Guys-

I'm hoping to host a meeting when the weather warms up so if kids come along they can swim. Got a bunch of frags maturing for that event!

Icecap and AB--cant go wrong. I'm running my AB's on Bluelines.

JT

BCooksey
04/07/2002, 11:18 AM
Just ordered the icecap175 w/ aqualine 10k. :D :bounce1:

Zmann
04/07/2002, 03:17 PM
What no thatnks for the link. Oh well I'll jsut pat my own back.

saltwaterfishlover
04/07/2002, 04:19 PM
Zman I will thankyou for him he's been having a rough weekend... plus I dont get offer to buy this for him ..he bought this himself...

BCooksey
04/07/2002, 04:38 PM
Thank you Zmann. I do apreciate your help.