PDA

View Full Version : New to the Game!

quietstorm
02/09/2006, 06:59 PM
Hello All,

I am a new saltwater fish hobbiest and need some advice on how to set up my tank. I have been collecting FW fish recently and am currently switching over to SW fish one tank size at a time. Here is my set up so far:

20 gallon tank
20 lbs Bio-Active live Argonite Substrate
Aqua Clear Filter
601 Powerhead
20 lbs of Fiji Live Rock (purchased partially cured)
In Tank Heater

I have had my tank up an running for almost a week now. I added my substrate and sea salt water first, and let the tank run to normal temp of 72-78 degrees first. Then I started to cycle the tank by adding the live rock, the rock have been in the tank for two days now. I am not sure what to do next. I know it will be awhile untill the nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph, and sg levels balance themselves. How often should I test the water. And what should I look for with the live rock in the tank. I purchased it partially cured . I am starting my saltwater collection out small with this starter tank. Eventually I plan to purchase a bigger tank of about 120 gallons in the future. Please feel free to reply with any suggestions or advice. Thanks.........

:confused:

Aadler
02/09/2006, 07:10 PM
just make sure not to run a foam pad in the aquaclear for more than like 3 days, you start getting junk built up in it and it causes nitrates.

Since you prolly dont want to spend 1-200$$ on a skimmer, make sure you do 2-3 gallon water changes once a week.

Test your ammonia every other day, once it is undetectable go ahead and start testing your trites/trates and once the nitrites are gone go ahead and put 3-6 red leg hermits/blue leg hermits, a few snails, and a shrimp if you want, you can target feed all of these guys frozen mysid shrimp, then once you are set up, have a perfect brown/red/gren/hair algae bloom, you are good to add in a fish, no more than 3 though, and keep them small for the fishes sake, clowns, firefish, gobys etc.

enjoy this great hobby

WaterKeeper
02/09/2006, 07:56 PM
Hi quietstorm
[welcome]

See if this helps answer a lot of those questions and what to expect next in your plunge into saltwater- The New Tank Thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848)

BurntOutReefer
02/10/2006, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna be a pain (and await flames)....I dont think its necessary to test for ammon. on a new set-up....why...cause its gonna happen anyway.....test for nitrites and nitrates....as soon as your nitrates show up...you are towards the end of your cycle.

WaterKeeper
02/10/2006, 12:16 PM
No flames Burnt Out, it just gives the new reefer warm fuzzies to see the ammonia climb as their new rock cures (don't tell them I told you that ;) )

It is wise to have an ammonia kit however as when there is any type of distress in the tank it is the first thing I check.

quietstorm
02/10/2006, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6705179#post6705179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by quietstorm
Hello All,

I am a new saltwater fish hobbiest and need some advice on how to set up my tank. I have been collecting FW fish recently and am currently switching over to SW fish one tank size at a time. Here is my set up so far:

16 gallon tank
16 lbs Bio-Active live Argonite Substrate
Aqua Clear Filter
601 Powerhead
20 lbs of Fiji Live Rock (purchased partially cured)
In Tank Heater

I have had my tank up an running for almost a week now. I added my substrate and sea salt water first, and let the tank run to normal temp of 72-78 degrees first. Then I started to cycle the tank by adding the live rock, the rock have been in the tank for two days now. I am not sure what to do next. I know it will be awhile untill the nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph, and sg levels balance themselves. How often should I test the water. And what should I look for with the live rock in the tank. I purchased it partially cured . I am starting my saltwater collection out small with this starter tank. Eventually I plan to purchase a bigger tank of about 120 gallons in the future. Please feel free to reply with any suggestions or advice. Thanks.........

:confused: