PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight Fish - Recommend one or experience with one?

chrisbenavides
02/09/2006, 12:25 AM
Anyone have experience with the Flashlight fish?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1156

I am considering in starting a second tank, and wanted something different and exotic (than compared to my reef tank with reef safe fish). Since many people have this already, I was thinking, since I have that already, I should get something different. Like a Sea Horse tank, or maybe, now a tank with Flashlight fish.

Can anyone tell me more about what they know, or what they have experienced???

Thanks!!!
- Chris

:rollface: :rollface: :eek1: :rollface: :rollface:

padros4
02/09/2006, 12:52 AM
Flashlight fish...very difficult to keep. I work at a public aquarium and we have an exhibit tank of about 15. The ones we keep live in complete darkness and you can see them flashing periodically. Not sure if they have to live in complete darkness or just really low light, but our tank is pitch black. Don't know much else about them though. I can ask around...but I'm sure everyone will just give the same answer...very difficult to keep.

pitt_prodigy
02/09/2006, 02:49 AM
For $99 i wouldnt gamble with them. First off, they say they are best kept in groups.... which mean a couple a hundred bucks... and second they say expert only. Usually if the LFS rates them poorly they are not worth the trouble or the cash. Its a shame cause it looks like an interesting fish. But i wouldnt try it without dedicating a whole tank too them which i would keep dimly lit about 24/7. Question is.... how much do you like em?

DaveAngie79
02/09/2006, 10:12 AM
sounds like a waste to me

Blown 346
02/09/2006, 10:18 AM
I looked into one as well, and as soon as I saw the price and the difficulty of caring for one I changed my mind.