PDA

View Full Version : New 12G Nano Cube Deluxe...Getting started...

cburns32
02/08/2006, 12:35 AM
Hello, I just recently registered to this website, and I am already loving it. My name is Chris, I've had freshwater tanks nearly all my life...And now I want to take in a new hobby, marine and reef tanks. I love marine fish and reefs, I've been to the Great Barrier Reef and ever since that visit, I wanted a reef tank, just never got around to research it. I just recently ordered a 12 Gallon Nano Cube Deluxe. I've heard alot about these tanks in how they are beautiful when completed and cared for correctly. I also know that they are difficult to maintain because of size. I am willing to spend $$$ on this tank, and can't wait to get started, but am limited of space (hence I bought this compact tank). I need tips on how to get started, if the stock equipment meets the needs of a reef aquarium, what other equipment may I need, what sand, live rock, and coral to choose. As well as interts and possibly a few to none fish. Any ideas, suggestions or help would be great.

P.S. The item is on backorder so I won't recieve until 02/24/06, but should I buy anything else to prepare for its arrival. (I have no equipment or anything of the sort to start off with since I sold it all two years ago). What to prepare for?

Thanks a bunch, can't wait to get to know you all

Blown 346
02/08/2006, 01:16 AM
Welcome.

As for the tank they come very well equipt, the only thing you will need to start with will be a heater which can go in the last compartment on the right( if your looking at it head on.)
My preference with sand is the oolotic sand which is very fine sand. It will benefit the critters that will live there, and will be easy for snails to turn it over and keep it clean.

Live rock is merely your choice, I like the Figi rock myself. I would go with between 15 to 20 lbs of rock total depending on the size and the density of the rock.
You can keep kenya tree coral, zoos, mushrooms, green star polyps, yellow polyps. Basically the soft corals.
Inverts you can get some nerite snails, cerith snails for the sand, and some Astrea snails for the glass and rock, Maybe 4 or 5 of each. You can get a fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp or a peppermint shrimp if you want. But i wouldnt do all 3.
Fish all depends on ther size when they go into the tank, and the size they can reach when mature. I have 1 clown in mine and he doe fine. If you like the smaller fish you get 2 or 3 depending on the species.

The one thing I would get rid of is the lower black sponge on the intake side, since that will only create a nitrate problem. You can keep the carbon but I would rinse it very well before use. The ceramic rings can go, you will the liverock to replace it.

cburns32
02/08/2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the advice, what about an extra pump for more water flow, and possibly a protein skimmer which I heard does wonders for a 12 Gal Reef Aquarium. What do you think? What about curing the rock, sand, and coral. How should I go about doing that? And possibly water changes, should I get a syphon? Should I get a small 3 gallon take to do my water changes in? I appreciate the advice from an expert like yourself.

capefear
02/08/2006, 02:18 AM
do alot of reading.....go yanks

Blown 346
02/08/2006, 03:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6692290#post6692290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cburns32
Thanks for the advice, what about an extra pump for more water flow, and possibly a protein skimmer which I heard does wonders for a 12 Gal Reef Aquarium. What do you think? What about curing the rock, sand, and coral. How should I go about doing that? And possibly water changes, should I get a syphon? Should I get a small 3 gallon take to do my water changes in? I appreciate the advice from an expert like yourself.

Yes you can add a different pump, I did and it helps with water flow alot. I used a Maxi jet pump, it fits perfectly and has 4 different settings for flow rates, so you can choose if it is too much or too little.
Another thing you may want to do is modify the intake side of the tank so you can have somewhat of a overflow. Without that you will not get very good gas exchange or surface water movement. Also you will get a oily looking film on the waters surface without some type of modification to the intake.

A skimmer would help alot with nutrient export and your tank inhabitants will thank you.
What you could do is try and get rock that is already cured to its full potential and add that to your tank, you wont have to worry about a ton of die off and you wil actually shorten your cycle time this way. The sand will become live over a few weeks from the critters and bacteria on and in the rock, that is why it is best to get cured rock. It already has the bacteria to help stabilize the tank.
Uncured rock will become infested with bacteria as well but will take longer. Cured is definitly the way to go here.

You dont want to add any coral or anything like fish,inverts etc. until the cycle is over. Once you have readings of ammonia and nitrite the cycle has started. Once your nitrite reads Zero the cycle will be over. You will want to wait a week or two, between that time check the tanks water levels to make sure they stay stabile.
Once stabile you can add your cleanup crew, snails, crabs.
Add slowly, so the bacteria in the tank can re populate itself to handle the new load of what was added.

You could get a syphon but I only use a cup, the tank is so small it doesnt take much to take out 2 to 3 gallons of water. You dont need a extra tank just get a new 5 gallon bucket and do the changes in there as well as making up the new saltwater.

I will get some pics of my nano so you can get a real idea of what I mean by the overflow and extra pump mod. I will post them in this thread.

cburns32
02/08/2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks alot, I was reading up on a really nice skimmer, not protein just surface skimmer, here's the link to it http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...o+cube+skimmer is this a good idea, what do you suggest? Clean-up crew, what do you suggest, I heard things about Diamond Gobys or Sleeper Gobys, to help clean-up, but what inverts would help me out? Do I need anything in that 5 gallon bucket to change the water, or is it fine how it is. And I should buy cured rock??? One more thing, should I take out the stock pump and replace it with a minijet 900, rio 90, or maxi jet? What is your best advice you got for these questions sorry about so much...

cburns32
02/08/2006, 01:05 PM
What about the filter compartments, I've heard of a ton of different variations, I've heard that people have put crushed live rock and coral in the middle compartment, the pump and heater in the 3rd, but I don't know about the 1st? What do you suggest?

Syon
02/08/2006, 01:20 PM
i've got a nano that's been up for a little over a year. The only thing i have in the back compartments is the stock sponge in the first compartment, empty in the second and a heater in the third. Everyone does well. A weekly water change is the best filtration IMO. As for rock, i wouldn't put more than 6-8 pounds in it to start, because you gotta remember that most corals you buy are gonna be attached to some kind of rock, and you're gonna want to leave space for new additions :)

cburns32
02/08/2006, 01:37 PM
OK, I'm thinking about placing a pump and heater in the 3rd compartment of the filteration system, since I don't have my tank yet, but want to buy this equipment, what sizes should I get if I wanted that to work, like the dimensions of the compartment, heater and pump. If that won't work out give me good tips on the heater and pump. What's the best setup for the filteration system?

Syon
02/08/2006, 01:44 PM
i use a fully submersible 50 watt heater.

cburns32
02/08/2006, 01:57 PM
do you put it in the compartment or the tank itself?

Blown 346
02/08/2006, 11:43 PM
Here are the pics I promised. The first one is of the extra added return. I drilled a hole through the plastic so the extra return would fit. I did all te mods before the tank was setup. Everything took about 3 hours.
First pic..http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/57307Nano_return_mod.jpg

The second one is where the extra pump sits, it actually site on top of the original one the tank comes with. You can see the extra hose that runs to it. I also added overflow teeth to the tank to help distribute the water proportionally. You can also see the live rock rubble. it helps as a little fuge just to give pods somewhere safe to dwell. also you can see the heater.
Second Pic...http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/57307nano_extra_return.jpg

The third one is of my surfaca skimmer mod. What I did was, I took a piece of acrylic ( from Home depot, Lowes) And I placed it over the inside outline of the skimmer area. I traced the outline out with a marker. After that I took the piece of acrylic and sanded it down with my bench grinder to the right shape. I wanted the piece to fir snugly into the recess. After I got my shape, I sanded the top portion off by a half inch, so now it wasnt sealed shut and it would allow the water to overflow through it, causing a small overflow box but without the tube. I then siliconed the piece in to make it water tight. After about 45 minutes I started to set the tank up.
Third pic..http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/57307nano_surface_skimmer_mod.jpg

cburns32
02/09/2006, 08:23 AM
Looks great...Thanks alot...what kind of pump did you use, and what kind of heater did you use? I want good quality ones...Thank you...any suggestions or additional advice you have would be appreciated.

Blown 346
02/09/2006, 08:59 AM
I used a Mini jet 606 for the extra pump, I got it here.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4605&N=2004+113040

The heater I bought like 2 years ago. It says Hydro heater. It was like $ 20 bucks or so.

cburns32
02/09/2006, 01:27 PM
Aight, thanks a bunch for the info. Anything else would be well appreciated.