PDA

View Full Version : Electric Flame Scallop

sequential
02/07/2006, 11:05 PM
I've done a little little (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1525) reading (http://www.reefs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=29&t=000010#000007), and a mostly useless search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22electric+flame+scallop%22+site%3Areefcentral.com&btnG=Google+Search) of RC about my Electric Flame Scallop. After being thoroughly cleaned by two overzealous Mexican Turbos, the scallop spent the next two days only partially open before burrying itself under som LR and substrate.

After a couple of days in hiding, with no time open for feeding, I uncovered it. To my amazement, the scallop actually opened while I was in contact with it and very quickly fanned out to show off it's vibrant red mantel and tentacles. My first thought was, oh no, it's already dead, considering the ease with which it opened, but I watched in amazement as moment by moment it looked better and more active. The tank was pretty dark at the time, so I shined a flashlight on it to be certain it was in reasonable health. To my surprise, it immediately started flashing. With the light shined away, the flashing stopped instantly.

My questions are:

1) Is the hiding behavior I have describe normal? The brief bit on LiveAqauria seems to indicate it is, but I have been unable to corroborate it.

2) Is the scallop photosensitive? If yes, does it do better in certain lighting conditions?

3) Has anyone had long term luck with a particular food source or feeding method with these guys? My only previous experience was with food I now understand to have been too large and that, my friends, is how I have lovely scallop shells, sans scallop, in my tank. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Blown 346
02/07/2006, 11:12 PM
It can be normal for scallops to go where they want, I dont think they try to hide, but they try to butt up against something to get comfy.
I have had scallops in the past and they werent light sensitive but dont like real high lighting. I would place it on the bottom or the middle of the tank.

I use Mysis shrimp to feed and they have been fine. I usually put a plastic cup with a hole in the top of it and blow some food down into the cup. After 10 minutes or so I will pull the cup out.

sequential
02/07/2006, 11:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6691275#post6691275 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown 346
I dont think they try to hide, but they try to butt up against something to get comfy.

This one was buried completely with substrate and live rock. Before moving it, I made sure it was not attached in any way. I've seen them wedge themselves in corners, near the heating element and near the intake previously, so I know they can move, climb, and be otherwise seriously mobile, but I had not seen a capitve scallop or clam, whatever it is, actually bury itself.

Do you feed them live or dead Mysis shrimp?

Blown 346
02/07/2006, 11:52 PM
I feed them the dead frozen stuff that comes in the cubes. I will thaw a cube in some tank water in a cup, and take a small turkey baster( like the ones that come in certain test kits) and suck some up.

sequential
02/07/2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks, Blown 346. I'll give that a try.

bertoni
02/08/2006, 12:00 AM
I thought scallops were filter feeders and the phytoplankton was the appropriate food.

sequential
02/08/2006, 12:02 AM
I forgot to ask, Blown 346, do you use Phytoplankton in the tank with your scallops?

Blown 346
02/08/2006, 12:05 AM
Yes I use that as well.

Blown 346
02/08/2006, 12:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6691638#post6691638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
I thought scallops were filter feeders and the phytoplankton was the appropriate food.
You are right, they are filter feeders, but They will gladly take Mysis when I target feed them every once in a while.

bertoni
02/08/2006, 12:19 AM
Are you sure they are digesting the mysid, or are they ingesting it and rejecting it later?

sequential
02/08/2006, 12:35 AM
One of the links I read above suggest they are rejecting it, but I could not corroborate it. Have you read or experienced something similar, bertoni?

Blown 346
02/08/2006, 01:02 AM
Mine will take little pieces, but not all of it. I will see it spit a small milky cloud every now and then, but it will ingest some of it.

capefear
02/08/2006, 01:34 AM
they dont live to long

bertoni
02/08/2006, 01:48 AM
Most filter feeders are very picky about the size of their food, and I don't think the scallop would eat both phytoplankton and mysid.

SeaAngel
02/08/2006, 02:54 AM
Try ReefSnow and RotiRich. They can live with the right combination of food stuff.