PDA

View Full Version : new tank help

mister crabs
02/07/2006, 10:15 PM
Ok, so i am ripping hte all in one hood off of my eclipse tank and am going to be replacing the lighting with a 130w PC with moon lights. But I am sorta torn on the filtration. Does anyone use a canister filter? if so which one? My tank is already cycled and already has a cleanup crew consisting of 8 hermits and 6 snails in place. Its a 25 gallon tank so how big of a filter? Or should I just build a 10 gallon sump? any links to a good place for this? all help is greatly appreciated as this will be my first foray into corals.

mister crabs
02/07/2006, 10:16 PM
forgot to mention that I have no idea how to go about building a sump or plumbing it or any of that so any links to a how to post would be great.

mister crabs
02/08/2006, 12:21 AM
so nobody knows???

phenom5
02/08/2006, 10:52 AM
what are you looking to do with this tank?

what is your setup like right now...sorry, i'm not too familiar with the eclipse tanks?

i do not run a canister filter, or any other type of HOB filter. i have a mini sump w/ DIY skimmer, LR & lots of flow.

depending on what you want to keep, i would either go with something like that, or replace the sump & skimmer with a refugium & macro algae.

mister crabs
02/08/2006, 07:50 PM
tank was a FOWLR but gave the fish to a friend because they got too big for my little tank so i figured what the heck, might as well go reef. the Eclipse systems have the biowheel and the carbon in filter pads and all the lighting and filtratration is in the hood so its really clean like a nanocube. Only problem is that its not an ideal setup for SW since lighting is limited and filtration really cant handle a big bio load. Hard to kee pwater parameters steady with the stock filtration. I have a fluval 204 and two maxijet 600's so I may just use these until I can upgrade to a sump. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any successes or failures with a canister filter before i took this step

martlla26
02/08/2006, 11:06 PM
Eclipses are the worst tanks to get for saltwater!!! I have a canister set up on my Eclipse 29 gallon. The tank was started 1 1/2 years ago. I kept the stock lighting, biowheel, etc. for the first few months then I got rid of the whole hood, upgraded to 130 watt powercompacts and added a Cascade canister filter. I think the filter does a good job, my nitrates are the only thing measurable at slightly less than .2 ppm. Knowing now what I didn't know back then I would have gotten a sump/ refugium instead of a filter.

cmondo
02/08/2006, 11:53 PM
I have a 6 gallon eclipse and i have to disagree with matlla the tank is good for saltwater, its just everything else that comes with it was isn't. I have a fuge plumbed to mine and it was quite easy to do. I drilled to whole in that back which was one of the perks about the acrylic tank. Got two bulkheads from my LFS and set it up with a pump. Mine is a ten gallon fuge, so if u were looking to do something like this let me know, and i will let you know how i built the fuge and did the plumbing.

jcatblum
02/08/2006, 11:58 PM
I love my eclipse too!!!!!!