PDA

View Full Version : xenia

[I]ce
04/05/2002, 06:42 PM
What's the best way to cut and get xenia to stick to a live piece of rock? I've tried many different ways the last actually worked just drop it in and where it land it stick hehe.

Aquatard
04/05/2002, 07:03 PM
Not sure on that one.But i can say i had a huge xenia colony on one of my rocks,then a couple of my JBJ PC bulbs went out.
(which seems to be fairly common problem from my experience)
So the Xenia started physically moving across rocks so they could locate closer to the strongest light.

asmujica
04/05/2002, 07:06 PM
Would you consider xenia a begginer coral?

Aquatard
04/05/2002, 07:16 PM
Its one of the first things i put in my tank and i had no problems with it at all.In fact it grew so much i finally took out the big rock that had the mother colony on it and traded it in at the LFS.
The guy their was amazed at how huge the colony was.
So IMO yes it seems to be Hardy and easy to raise provided you have proper lighting.Beginners shouldnt have a problem with it,I was just starting out when i got mine.
Then again im no expert on the topic which according to some folks here is a requirement when posting on this BBS.

AuroraDave
04/05/2002, 07:17 PM
Xenia will grow onto anything that it touches. If you lean a small rock against it, then it will grow onto the new rock too. Usually within 1-3 days.

If you lean some xenia against your tank glass, you will soon have X growing all over your tank glass.

My X seem to like a good current.

asmujica
04/05/2002, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info aquatard. Will 192 watts of pc sufice in a 46?

[I]ce
04/08/2002, 02:58 PM
that sounds right I have 110 in my 29 and its doing great just want to spread it around a little. I also have 3 toad stools and was wondering how they reproduce? Usually a good starting point for lights is 4 watts per gallon.

newkie
04/08/2002, 04:09 PM
Usually I just "rip and throw". I have an area of rubble I just toss them on to and they grow.

However, when I'm on my way to the lfs and want to make some quick frags I just superglue them. Works great, they attatch quickly after a few days making a strong bond.

[I]ce
04/10/2002, 01:13 PM
hehe I don't have any rubble and was wondering if and how I would break a rock into pieces? Would this make the nitrates or ammonia go up?

gregt
04/10/2002, 02:31 PM
Don't break up perfectly good LR. Go to your LFS and ask them for some rubble. They will probably just give it to you, at worst they might charge you a couple bucks. They get plenty of it in the bottoms of LR shipment containers.

JonK
04/10/2002, 02:59 PM
I recently had a stalk that attached to some halimeda and while I was trimming the halimeda it started floating away. All I did was got a small piece of rock and pinned the xenia down so it couldn't float away.

It has now since attached to both rocks and it is growing another head on the other side of the rock which was originally the base of the stalk. It's been about a week and the new head already has about 6 hands on it.

Jon