PDA

View Full Version : Best method for safe hands in tank?

supertech3
02/06/2006, 08:51 PM
What is the best method to wash your hands or other, before putting them into the aquarium water? Is there something good enough without wearing aqua-gloves?

mmgm
02/06/2006, 08:59 PM
My strategy is to minimize the actual time you need to put your hands in the tank altogether..... By purchasing the right tools I rarely need to put my hands in my tank. The following tools have minimized "Hand Time" in tank:

1. Semiautomatic water change - Just flip valves but no need to get hands wet

2. Glass scraper attached to magnet - no more hands in tank when cleaning

3. Scraper - same as above

4. 36" long tongs - no more hands in tank to pick things up

5. Excellent water flow in tank - no need to blow rocks off

When I have no choice and need to put hands in tank I wash with regular soap and then rinse with good old water.....

Have fun.....:D

pennyguy23
02/06/2006, 09:05 PM
I just rinse my hand with water then dry with a clean towel. I don't use soap because I am scared I won't get all the soap off.

supertech3
02/06/2006, 09:06 PM
I use a mag float for glass cleaner,and use tongs when applicable but what about for coral placements (delicate items) and other heavy items.

supertech3
02/06/2006, 09:09 PM
I am wondering if there is a safe soap or something to clean your hands.

bertoni
02/06/2006, 10:43 PM
Gloves are the safest approach. I have a variety of them around, from heavy-duty to light-weight disposable.

nursefry
02/07/2006, 01:18 AM
i actually use powder free latex free exam gloves. you can get them at walgreens or someplace like that to protect your hands, but for big hands in tank time i use veternarian exam gloves. they go up to your shoulder and thus waterproof all the way. When i take my dog in i usually ask the vet real nice and he gives me a couple pairs for free.

TippyToeX
02/07/2006, 02:06 AM
Gloves all the way! After some bad stings I wouldn't put my hands in the tank for a second without there. For quick moves are algae picking I like using the shoulder length vet gloves. For more heavy duty work I'll use a tougher rubber glove that comes to about mid forearm. :)