PDA

View Full Version : Need your help on my tank ??

nimo1969
02/06/2006, 07:11 PM
Ok my tank is 29 gl and I have 35+ live rock and almost 30lbs of live sand .The tank is been up and running for 7months now I have so much green(hair like ) algea and red algea on the class I bought turbo snails and crabs to help ......... I use tap water (yes) I know its a bad thing ,The lfs sells ro water I was thinking should I just empty my tank and clean it 100% start new or should I just replace the water slowly every week or so ? The tank looks bad and I want to make it a reef tank soon . So clean house or slow and easy ?? The tank has 15 tubro snails and 2 shrimp ,2 seahores .I bought a 2-65 watt for the 29 g tank total (130) almost 4..48 watts per gallon something easy (corals ...)

I have my water information here it goes
1.nitrite =0.1
2.nitrate=5
3.phosphata=0.25
ammonia=0
cal=340 yes it should be 400-480 or higher
ph=8.4
kh=20 I do not know why so high(any reason)or ways to lower it...
iron=0

Thanks please give me your thought on this issue
nimo1969

msman825
02/06/2006, 07:48 PM
Red Slime romover will get the red slime, How long do you leave light on, light and water could have something to do with algae. do you have flow, was the rock cured, A Big water change will help green algae and not a lot of light!

MandM
02/06/2006, 10:08 PM
I have used Chemi-clean to kill cyano (a red bacteria, not algae) but the dead get things toxic for your fish. I'd get those seahorses and shrimp to a stable QT tank pronto. Your KH and phosphates are most likely high because of the tap water and that is what is giving you the algae. Starve it and it will die. It really doesn't save time to cut corners. Start with all new RO/DI water and follow all the rules this time. Lots of info on this at:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/algaeconMar.htm
Good luck!

reefwick
02/06/2006, 10:43 PM
I agree with MandM get your livestock out while you treat this. I wouldn't start over but I would do large WC's with RO water. Tap water has no place in a reef tank (which you said you switching to). Before you use the chemi-clean you should improve your husbandry so this stuff doesn't come back. I believe it should be a last resort not a quick fix. You might beat it with WC's, reduced feeding, etc... It definitely does the job though. I used it recently after battling cyano for 2 months, it's gone now. It's got to be very frustrating but you'll beat it and have a beautiful reef before you know it.

nimo1969
02/07/2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone
WC with RO, CUT FEEDING ,LESS LIGHT
NIMO1969

mr pink floyd
02/07/2006, 08:28 PM
i use tap water, adn every time in the winter, then into the fall, different metals go into the water, and cause didfferent algaes, after abotu a month of the change it goes away, so im goingto start buying bottled weater, and adding the supplements to it