PDA

View Full Version : My Anemone Isn't Eating

Gopher
04/05/2002, 01:02 PM
I've had my H. crispa for a little over a month now. I bought it because it still had its zoox and was a nice purplish color with pink tips. It was about 3" when I got it and I fed it every day for a week until it got to about 6-7" Then I slowed the feedings down to about 2-3 times a week. Last week I bought a tomato clown, and since then its shrunk down to about 4-5" and hasn't accepted any food for three days now. Its mouth is much smaller than it used to be. I've tried octopus, squid, shrimp and mussels which used to be its favorite. Is the tomato bothering it somehow? It only sleeps in it at night. I've got a 40g with 175w MH and 96w pc. The anemone has only moved a few inches from where I placed it initially when I bought it. It has a spot on the rocks about 3/4 down with partial shade. Here are my tank levels:
Ph: 8.1
Nitrite/ate: 0,0
Ammonia: 0
S.G.: 1.027
Alk: 10.0 DKH

Shia
04/05/2002, 03:43 PM
If the clown in the only change in the tank, than most likely it is causing a problem for the anemone.

Gopher
04/05/2002, 04:19 PM
Yeah, maybe it is agitating it. The only other changes I can think of are that I reversed my fan which cooled off the tank by a few degrees (78-80 now instead of 78-85). I also took out my bicolor angel and replaced it with a bartlett's anthias, but I doubt that he would do anything to affect the anemone.

Shia
04/05/2002, 04:27 PM
I suggest you return the clown before it does any serious damage on the carpet

Lampuki
04/06/2002, 01:30 AM
nm

Gopher
04/06/2002, 01:45 AM
I guess the clown might be the reason for the anemone not doing as well. Is there any behavior that will hurt the anemone in particular. I notice that the clown doesn't touch it all day until the main light goes off, then he shakes around in it for an hour fluffing it up until it wraps around him and he goes to sleep. Will the anemone get used to this, or should I trade the tomato in for a percula?

Shia
04/06/2002, 01:56 AM
I have a carpet that is 5in. and I personally would never add a clown to my carpet because of the size. I also have a 15in. green carpet that I have a clown for because the size of the carpet is much greater than that of clown.
Also I had a problem with my 5in. carpet and I resolved it through Dr. Ron's advise, but one thing he said was for me not to add the clown until it grows more.
Also if you check other stories you will find some that say as soon as the clown was introduced the anemone stopped eating.
I think you should return that clown or trade it in but not for another clown. The carpets grow very fast I would say in around 2 months of good feeding your carpet will be big enough to have a clown.

Gopher
04/06/2002, 02:12 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. I'll wait a few more weeks. If it keeps growing at the same rate that it was, it'll be plenty big enough by then :)