PDA

View Full Version : How many shrimp in a nano?

schiavonir
02/05/2006, 11:39 PM
Is there a rule of thumb for the numbers or kinds of shrimp in a nano? Like 1 shrimp per 2 gallons of water, or something like that?

I have a 6 gal nano and I have a peppermint and a coral banded in another tank, ready to jump into the nano. I'm sure these two will be okay, but if I want to add a sexy shrimp or fire shrimp someday, at what point will the shrimp be overcrowded?

reefwick
02/05/2006, 11:54 PM
The coral banded will probably kill any other shrimp in close quarters like that.

steelhealr
02/06/2006, 12:28 AM
Agree with reefwick. IMO, a CBS shrimp is a bad player in a nanocube unless the only player. He'll make quick lunch of other other shrimp and your fish, at night, when sleeping. SH

Poorcollegereef
02/06/2006, 01:07 AM
agreed, the coral banded shrimp will shortly become the only inhabitant of that tank. Also Scarlet skunk and fire shrimp can be bullies in small tanks, or maybe just only in my tank! Peppermint shrimp can be housed in small groups, im not sure about sexy shrimp. And as far I am unaware of any shrimp per gallon rule, you just have to becareful about the shrimp fighting in a small space

schiavonir
02/06/2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info on the CBS. Before I bought him, I read that he was "peaceful" but I must have missed this line: "It may harass other smaller shrimp of different species." So far, he has lived peacefully for about a month in my 10 gal holding tank with 3 other peppermint shrimp and 2 tomato clowns, though the tomatoes are much larger than him.

Of the 3 peppermints, one of them is significantly larger than the CBS, so if I do decide to put them in the nano, they may be good tank mates.

Anybody have different experiences with the CBS in a nano or with other shrimp?

schiavonir
02/06/2006, 10:50 AM
BTW, in case it makes a difference, I have a Yellow Coral Banded Shrimp.

sullyfish
02/06/2006, 02:08 PM
I have two sexy shrimp in a 5g nano and they do well together. Once in awhile they will pick at each other but that is rare. They are great to watch.

schiavonir
02/06/2006, 03:01 PM
So, will the CBS hold his own in my 65 gallon? I have tangs and clowns that prob won't bother him, but I have an Eyelash Blenny that gets a little aggressive sometimes, an emerald crab, and green brittle star that might be formidable opponents.

geekreef_05
02/06/2006, 04:11 PM
Id say that one shrimp of either Cleaner, Blood or Pep should be ok in a 5 gallon.

Sexy shrimp maybe the most appropriate though, as they dont grow very large. However, sexy's are known to do well in groups of 5-7 or more. Thus Id recommend maybe 3 sexy's in your 5 gallon, with no other shrimp. Ive been researching sexy's lately, as I intend to put 5-7 sexy's in my 15H.

happy reefin'