PDA

View Full Version : St. Thomas & St. Maarten

ReeferKeith
02/05/2006, 01:54 AM
I will be going on a Carnival cruise in April and have booked (through the ship) diving trips in St.Thomas and Maarten. This will be my first ocean dive and I am extremely excited. I was just curious if anyone has ever dove this area and how it was, what to expect etc. etc. Also any advice or tips would be welcomed!

JVHam
02/05/2006, 01:57 AM
If you can go to St. John I would highly recommend doing so. It is right next door to St. Thomas and much less crowded. St. Marteen has some good sights on the french side of the island. I did not spend too much time on the Dutch side.

ReeferKeith
02/05/2006, 02:10 AM
I would absolutely love to do that but the ship is only in port until 6:00 and the dive trip that I have scheduled isn't over until 3:30-4:00. I think next vacation I will just fly to one of the islands and spend the week there instead of spending a majority of the time on the cruise ship.

msudawgs56
02/09/2006, 09:53 PM
I went to all 3 islands mentioned about 11 years ago. I was only 16 then but had a blast. We only snorkled and it was great. You'll have a great time. I personally like Barbados most. St Thomas a close 2nd.

Have Fun!!!

cajun coralman
02/19/2006, 07:07 PM
well on St Thomas there is diving in unexpected places.... Like John Brewer's bay which is the bay with the college on one side and the airport on the other... there is a beautiful shallow reef just a couple hundred yards from the main beach area... When you arrive at the beach, go like 30-40 yards to the right part of the beach then go in there and keep going in the water... you'll eventually come across the reef... Also Coki Beach is quite nice and there is coral world... that is towards heavensight and saphire beach resort. Also hull bay is good for snorkeling and there is good snorkeling on water island or buck island. Most of the cruse liners have places where you can sign up to go on a day or half day excursion to buck Island where there is excellent snorkeling. But yes St John is excellent. I went to the Virgin Islands last month and I think I'll be moving there this summer and will attend college on St Thomas this fall. I'll have to put my pictures on.!

Ali88
03/01/2006, 08:55 PM
My family has a time share on St. John, we go every other year. Last summer, my dad and I went on a resort dive (tons of fun, the reef was beautiful!). It was so fun, we went out and got certified. I haven't been diving anywhere else, but I do know that St. John was really awesome! I highly recommend staying in St. John if you ever get the chance.

Wryknow
03/02/2006, 12:11 PM
Don't worry about it. If this is your first open ocean dive then it will be amazing for you! There's nothing quite like your first reef dive. My incredibly-obvious-but-important-recommendations are:

1) Make sure that you have enough weight when you dive. The difference between salt and fresh water is significant in terms of buoancy and you don't want to have buoancy problems mess up your dive. Don't forget to check if the dive shop is using steel or aluminum tanks.
2) Be conscious of your breathing. You will probably suck oxygen fast on your first reef dive if you don't pay attention to this. There's no rocket science to this, just remember to stay calm and breath easily and you'll get the most out of the trip.
3) Get the best sunscreen and use it liberally. I like Bullfrog 35 myself. Re-apply often because the carribean sun will toast you quickly if you're not prepared.
4) I don't recommend trying to take photos initially. You'll end up spending all of your time messing with the camera instead of enjoying the reef.

Have fun!

Jason

Capt_Cully
03/06/2006, 10:03 AM
Chris Sawyer on St Thomas. I just got back 3/4. My girlfriend has never been diving before. She was VERY nervous! They made her very comfortable and by our third open water dive in three days, she was running to get into the water.

The diving was BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Chris Sawyer (google him w/ St. Thomas) was a great crew. Recognized as best in the USVI a couple of years running. He had alot of repeat customers. We did a 9am departure, 2 dives back on the dock at 12:30. 8 divers and 3 guides. Great ratio. GOOD LUCK! Enjoy!

Kreeger1
03/06/2006, 10:07 AM
just got back 2 weeks ago from that cruise,
water was cloudy and weather was cold. Not the best trip I've taken. Didn't see one saltwater fish :(
Erik

Capt_Cully
03/06/2006, 05:17 PM
weather and water was warm last week, saw more fish and HUGE corals than one could count. Schools of blue tangs. Got surrounded by a school of southern sennets (awesome). Saw a hawkbilled turtle. Very nice.

At least check out Chris Sawyer's website and see if you can make it for his am dive boat. WELL WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION. $105 for 2 dives. I could go on but it wouldn't stop.

ReeferKeith
03/08/2006, 10:13 PM
Sounds like you had an awesome time Capt Cully! Our scuba is booked through Coki Beach Dive Club (http://www.cokidive.com/) . This will be my first ocean dive and I can't wait! Diving here in Oklahoma sucks, 10 foot viability max :rolleyes:

Capt_Cully
03/09/2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah dude, you're going to have an amazing time. Do yourself a favor and go on at least two dives, more if you can swing it. Our three were very different, form the seascape to the wildlife and corals. Good Luck, I'm VERY jealous!

drgabe
03/11/2006, 11:33 PM
I used to live in St Martin, so here is my take.
This time of year, the winds are kicking and the hatian fishers have just left. Most of the fish are recovering from overfishing and you better have an iron stomach (or premedicate) because you'll be bouncing around, especially for the morning cruise dives.
If you can get a later in the day dive, its sometimes better.

The main reef in front of Phillipsburg (where you dock the big boat!) is a nice big reef that has some old spanish cannons from a cruise gone bad many centuries ago. Its worth doing if conditions are right (come March things get better).

However, the shopping in Philipsburg is great and the nude beaches on the French side are worth seeing. For you and your GF. :) Just dont stare, you'r eyes will hurt!

dvanacker
03/12/2006, 03:15 PM
I'm going on a Carnival cruise next week!! St.Thomas and St.Marteen as well.

If I have to pick one place to dive which one will be better?? Also any tips. Should I book through the cruize or find my own tour.