PDA

View Full Version : BB, SB, Inch of sand and shells..

zooqi
02/02/2006, 04:06 PM
Which one are you guys using. I'm using just 1"-2" of sand and crushed corals on the top. I just don't like to have it BB and also don't want to take a chance of what those who had DS experience. What are you using and how is your tank and corals looking.

fishesRdelicious
02/02/2006, 06:25 PM
i used to have about 4'' of sand and didnt have problems but decided to siphon alot of it out
so now i have 2'' of sand.
i think barebottom is the way to go for sps, it doesnt look that good but there are ways of making it look good. i was thinking of making a fake sand bed that looked like sand but was hard. if i do it again that is the way to go
for lps and softies sand is better because then you dont need a huge skimmer to compensate it is also easier

MOX
02/02/2006, 08:18 PM
good question mo i am also interested in hearing from every one

now i am a noob but after doing some reading i figgured i would go with a bb for a couple of reasons 1 being i can siphon off piles of crap that form 2 if i later decided to add sand its got to be easier adding than removing

zooqi
02/02/2006, 09:15 PM
FRD,, there is a small tank in the storage with sand like you mentioned and you have to check it out.
I like to learn from others...

fishesRdelicious
02/02/2006, 09:28 PM
i think that would be an awesome diy, i know a lot of barebottomer's use that starbord that isnt very attractive so making fake sand would be pritty cool. i have a couple ideas too, add that to the list of diys

zooqi
02/03/2006, 08:05 AM
Ask MattyDub how he made his. It looks nice and not sure what he used to make it.

stargazer=2
02/04/2006, 07:53 AM
when we had the 125 system up we had a 4 inch sand bed in the tank and a 6 inch sandbed in the 150gal fuge in the basement everything did fine in that system fish and coral we did skim 24/7 lights on the fuge were on at night ,donnas 37gal only has about 2 inches of sand seems to be doing ok it has a cpr hang on fuge with 2 inches also fish and corals seem fine also running a cpr skimmer with air pump help this is our exp. thank you-Dane & Donna

zooqi
02/04/2006, 04:26 PM
Stargazer
your sand was full of life and I used most of it in Loyalsock High School and is really nice sand.

Reef_Dweller_69
02/04/2006, 09:44 PM
Currently I am using 2" sand bed in a 35 hex of aragonite sand 1-2mm. BB just doesn't seem right to me, and the look of a 4" sand bed is not really appealing to me. I will be moving everything over to a 55 maybe on weds but will go with a 2" bed there as well.