PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions on Reef Racks?

DHodges34
04/04/2002, 11:49 AM
After seeing W_Dailey's reef rack pics I'm considering doing one of my own for my 45 G corner tank.

I can see the positive effects this would have (increased water flow, pumps hidden under the rack, etc.) but wanted to know of any negative effects it may have, and how severe they could be.

The only thing I can think of right now as far as a negative effect would be that I would get less filtration from the rock. Right now I only have about 35# of rock right now, about half of which is Live Rock, and half is base that is starting to show corraline growth. I am going to be adding about 10-15 more pounds of rock, mostly live.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

- Daniel

DHodges34
04/04/2002, 12:42 PM
SOMEONE has to have an opinion on these.....

fortyounces
04/04/2002, 02:41 PM
...It saves a ton of cash. With the RR you can avoid paying for rock that nobody is ever gonig to see. Plus with less blockage underneath the outer layer of rock, you get better circulation throughout.

I have one now in my 20 and will have one in my 90g in a few weeks.

whirley
04/04/2002, 02:45 PM
There pretty easy to make.

Another positive is that the racks give more surface area for both the sand and LR.

Agu
04/04/2002, 02:53 PM
They don't have any appeal for me. I like a lot of open space for fish to swim and corals to grow. In one of my systems there's more rock in the sump than in the two tanks the sump supports. Less rock means better flow too.

jmo,
Agu

pics here, http://www.reefcentral.com/members/agu/

slimytadpole
04/04/2002, 05:23 PM
Agu,
In the 4th picture on your page, I I noticed a toadstool leather surrounded by what look to be GSPs. Do the GSPs sting the leather, or do they generally get along?
Thanks.

Crawdad1
04/04/2002, 06:23 PM
I would not use them in my tank. Yes they will save money vs live rock to fill that gap, but O just dont like the look. I pesonaly would go with less rock. It's just that every time I see a pile of rock against the back glass it looks like a pile or rock. Please dont take this the wrong this is just my feelings.