PDA

View Full Version : Setup for fission protein skimmer and a chiller

cruzin94066
02/02/2006, 12:30 PM
I bought a protein skimmer and a chiller from nanotuners.com and installed it in my 12G Nano deluxe by JBJ. I was just wandering how other people set it up in the nano cubes by JBJ.

I have the protein skimmer in the 1st chamber where the water from the tank is flowing in and I installed the chiller by replacing the fan located above the return chamber. On one end of the chiller I have a tube with a RIO 400 attached to it and the rio is sitting in the middle chamber and the other end of the chiller is going into the return chamber. The problem I am having is that I can't balance the water or have the water filled to a certain point and I need to do this so that protein skimmer will perform at its optimum and so that I can still keep a submersible heater in any of the three chambers without going under the heaters minimum fill line.

Thanks

MVrico
02/03/2006, 12:07 AM
is that the ICA chiller?

MVrico
02/03/2006, 12:54 AM
that ICA chiller requires an additional pump ?

cruzin94066
02/03/2006, 03:06 AM
Yes this is the ICA chiller from nanotuners. And I do have a pump for it and it is the rio400. I am going to change it to a rio 50. Hopefully this will balance the water levels.

MVrico
02/06/2006, 09:48 PM
H

MVrico
02/06/2006, 09:49 PM
how is that chiller workin for you? I'm thinkin of getting one

cmondo
02/06/2006, 09:52 PM
Just out of curiosity was the chiller neccesary, I have never had experience with the JBJ's?

Right now i have a modified eclipse 6 and i have never had problems with it even after replacing the lights.

And did you change the lights?

cruzin94066
02/07/2006, 10:28 AM
The chiller is working great for me. Its keeping my temp with the heater on at a constant 78 degrees. Compared to the flucuations of + or - of 5 degrees at times.
Right now the chiller is not that necessary because its been called where I live but I like it because my temp is constant with the lights on or off. And no I have not modified my lights yet.

MVrico
02/07/2006, 06:56 PM
I just got my fission skimmer. Seems to be working pretty good. The only thing are the micro bubbles. Are you having any problems? Its not that bad, I'm just wondering if other people are having the same issue.

cmondo
02/07/2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah, it is a 28 dollar protein skimmer. I got it, and didn't really think that it was worth it, but for 28 bucks i figured id give it a try. I don't think that the amount of microbubbles it is putting in my tank would be worth it for the little bit of skimmate it produced. You could put it in your sump or fuge, or maybe it would fit in one of the back chambers of the jbj?

MVrico
02/08/2006, 12:11 AM
I have it in the back chamber. I'm considering going without it. I think weekly water changes are just as good. .

cmondo
02/08/2006, 12:24 AM
Yeah I agree, my tank has been up for a couple years without one.

cruzin94066
02/08/2006, 10:26 AM
No I am not having to much trouble with the micro bubbles. I put a sponge underneath the pump or by the opening of the first chamber to reduce it. The problem I am having is balancing the water levels because I have to deal with a return pump, the pump from the protein skimmer and the pump for the chiller. I am thinking of taking out the protein skimmer because its contributing to the evaporation of water in my tank.