PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get CO2?

kcolagio
04/04/2002, 12:38 AM
Hey folks...

Where can I get CO2 locally and how much should I expect to pay? A small canister is probably all I need for now (I've thought of dickering around with the ones they sell for pellet guns, but thought I would check this route first).

Thanks!

dmorel
04/04/2002, 08:33 AM
Welding supply store is probably the place to go in terms of cost.
You can also try the beer supply stores, but they will charge a little more.
I picked up a used 5lb. tank filled from Mahany (downtown 36 field st, 271-0870) for ~$35.00

hth,
-dm

Playfair
04/04/2002, 09:49 AM
I did an exchange at Beers of the World. Not sure what they charge if you don't have one already. I had gotton an old 5# tank from a friend, and had to pay $8something for the fill, and like $15 for the Hydro (done every 5 years).

The best "deal" is at SouthDown Beverage, where you can give them a deposit ($20?) for a 20lb tank, and just pay for the fill. When you turn the tank back in, you get your deposit back, so the "rental" was free.

kcolagio
04/04/2002, 10:00 AM
Is that SouthDown or SouthTown Beverage?

I like that route better...

Where are they located and how big is a 20 lb tank? 20lbs should last a while, right?

Now all I'll have to do is figure out how to tie it into a Phyto-farm setup.....

Thanks!

Playfair
04/04/2002, 11:56 AM
SouthTown Beverage is on West Henrietta Rd, across from Delta Sonic.

How long it lasts depends on how much you use :rolleyes:
On my Ca reactor, assuming no leaks, it would go about 4 years at 40 BPM

ReeferMac
04/04/2002, 04:56 PM
SouthTown Beverage is on West Henrietta Rd, across from Delta Sonic.

Hehe, damn near my neck of the woods!

a 20 Lb tank's pretty big... I think 4 years is a pretty good estimate. Most people run 5 Lb tanks (about the sized of an average Fire Extinguisher), and unless heavily stocked, get by on it for a year or better.

- Mac

kcolagio
04/04/2002, 05:11 PM
I'm planning on using it for a phytoplankton farm, not for a calcium reactor....

I'm thinking that I could maybe T it off and use some to lower the pH of water going into a Kalk reactor I have in mind....*evil grin* That's a future project though.

I'll check out the SouthTown place...see what they have, then report back for other's edification.

Thanks.

kcolagio
04/05/2002, 03:39 PM
SouthTown Beverage wants $50 (!) for a tank of CO2...I think it's a 20 lb tank (about 2 foot tall and 6 to 8 inches across). Refills for a 20 lb tank are $18.

Just so folks know....I'll keep looking.

Playfair
04/05/2002, 08:29 PM
$20, $50... whatever! The point is that you get it back after exhausted, which makes it a GOOD deal! lol

Good luck finding something better, and if you do, let us know!

kcolagio
04/05/2002, 09:27 PM
That wasn't a rental....they only sell them.

Granted, after searching around some more, including welding supply houses, paintball suppliers, and other beer houses, SouthTown Beverages is the cheapest.

They don't say how big those tanks are (5 or 20s), but I assume they are 20 lb tanks. They also come with the first filling (a $18 value), which no one else does...so I will probably go there...after NYS returns some money to me.

I'll keep the group posted on what I find out....