PDA

View Full Version : cyano outbreak help!!

supernareg
01/31/2006, 09:38 PM
for the past 2 weeks, i been doing 5 gallon water changes on my 30 gallon display (with 10 gal sump) and nothing affects my cyano... just recently it started about 2 weeks ago, still up today, i siphon'd most of it out, and it came back the next day. its ****ing me off. i feed my fish 2-3 times a week now before it was once every other day. i have 2 false percs, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp and about 6 hermits and 3 snails. i have a euroreef 5-3 skimmer in sump, temp's at 81-82 never below 80, never higher than 82. 150watt 20k MH, 2 55watt actinics. MH on for 10hrs, PC on for 12 hours. 6 stalks of xenia and a couple batches of GSP, zoos, candycane, and shrooms. whats causing this? how can i stop it? oh, tank is about 6 months old.

whats causing this stupid problem? i have the saaaaaaaaaame problem in my 12 gal aquapod with 1 seahorse and 1 cleaner shrimp in there.

icenine2005
01/31/2006, 11:14 PM
Try a bigger water change... like closer to 60 or 75%, maybe more. Just match the water to temp, PH and SG.

Mighty Quinn
01/31/2006, 11:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6637294#post6637294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icenine2005
Try a bigger water change... like closer to 60 or 75%, maybe more. Just match the water to temp, PH and SG.
In addition to this excellent advise, siphon as much of the cyano out of the tank with each water change. The cyano is feeding off of nutrients, so you want to export as many of these nutrients as possible.

Be patient, this is not a quick process. Maximize your nutrient export with your water changes by siponing as much algae and detritus out of your tank as possible.

Q

steelhealr
02/01/2006, 01:09 AM
I agree with Mighty...however, cyano has a dividing time of 8-12 hours, so, it will be like bailing water out of a sinking rowboat as you try to siphon it off. Having been through it and researched it heavily:

-lack of flow is a dinosauric theory; this bacteria lives off excess nutrients and is primeval..it is a tough bugger
-lighting interval has no effect

Water changes; limiting feeding; check your phosphate level; phosphate binder; are you using RO/DI water? If you are losing ground and your corals start to get affected, you can PM me.

SH

Mighty Quinn
02/01/2006, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6638056#post6638056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steelhealr
I agree with Mighty...however, cyano has a dividing time of 8-12 hours, so, it will be like bailing water out of a sinking rowboat as you try to siphon it off.
The benefit of siphoning out the cyano is that you are harvesting nutrients by removing the cyano biomass itself. This is best done at near the end of your light cycle when the cyano mat is at its thickest.

I definitely agree that cyano is feeding off of excess nutrients, which is the root of the problem.

Q

blide
02/01/2006, 09:50 AM
Check out reefcast.com.... They talked about cyano bacteria this week and tell you everything you need to do.

im_buford
02/01/2006, 09:56 AM
Are you suing RO water or tapwater. It seems you are getting nutrients somwehere.

impur
02/01/2006, 02:03 PM
After you get done trying everything ppl suggest here at RC, use chemi clean. It will be gone in a day.

brainiac
02/01/2006, 03:21 PM
where do you get chemi clean ?

Mighty Quinn
02/01/2006, 03:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6641331#post6641331 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by impur
After you get done trying everything ppl suggest here at RC, use chemi clean. It will be gone in a day.
Indeed, many people have had reported good results with Chemi-Clean; however, nobody seems to know what this stuff really is. Even the reef chemistry guru, Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley, stated a couple weeks ago that he doesn't know what Chemi-Clean is or how it works.

In my opinion, using a unknown chemical in my tank is just too risky. If you don't understand what it is than you cannot predict what the consequences might be. I would use Chemi-Clean only as a last resort.

Q

Paladin
02/01/2006, 03:53 PM
If you are using RO/DI water, and you have a RO/DI unit, make sure your filters are still good.

imbuggin
02/01/2006, 03:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6642118#post6642118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mighty Quinn
Indeed, many people have had reported good results with Chemi-Clean; however, nobody seems to know what this stuff really is. Even the reef chemistry guru, Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley, stated a couple weeks ago that he doesn't know what Chemi-Clean is or how it works.

In my opinion, using a unknown chemical in my tank is just too risky. If you don't understand what it is than you cannot predict what the consequences might be. I would use Chemi-Clean only as a last resort.

Q

It was alway my understanding that chemi clean is for red slime algae. It is supposed to be a type of antibiotic. I have used it many times with good success and no problems.

impur
02/01/2006, 04:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6642118#post6642118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mighty Quinn

Q

In my experiences with cyano, only the last resort cures have worked.

I understand what you are saying though. Which is why i battled the cyano for 5 months before resorting to the chemical. It had absolutely no negative effects in my tank FWIW. Its going on month 4 since i dosed i believe.

impur
02/01/2006, 04:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6642043#post6642043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brainiac
where do you get chemi clean ?

Check with your LFS. If they don't/can't get it, customaquatic.com, marinedepot.com, premiumaquatics.com all have it just to name a few.

steelhealr
02/01/2006, 05:41 PM
Well....I took the same route as impur. I treated my tank..but..not with ChemiClean which is NOT an antibiotic. I used E-M tabs which is a brand of erythromycin. Wiped out my cyano in 2-3 days and it never came back. I had no losses and no loss of biologic filter.

I don't recommend this for everyone. As impur said, and I side with him, it was a last ditch effort and it was used very judiciously. I use antibiotics and I'm comfortable with them. My tank was suffering...corals retreating...I would siphon off the cyano and it would be back in hours. Treated for quite some time too with 'the usual suspects'. I'm glad I did.

If you want a really good thread to read, search out 'red slime', posted by 'Kimmy'. It was that thread which lead my tank on the road to recovery. SH

KING OF THE REEF
02/01/2006, 06:38 PM
ok here is how i dealwith cyano, JUST LET IT GO AND IT WILL DIE OFF. its vcaused by too high of a nutrient level i have found (most likely many other factors contribute too). i just let it cycle through and i havent seen it since

Clownfish11790
02/01/2006, 09:32 PM
I fought cyano for about 2 months....the problem was that I was overstocking. Tell us how big your tank is and how many gallons it is. _CF