PDA

View Full Version : Broken side pane...will this work???

joeski3
01/31/2006, 08:52 PM
This is more of a problem than a DIY but i need other opnions, In the process of upgrading to a 125 (undrilled) While working to add support to the floor a 2x10 fell and hit the tank:mad2: The result was a busted side pane. My plans are to have this tank viewable on both sides so i am planning to drill one end and make the overflow etc. My idea instead of replacing the glass(because i am cheap:p )is to replace it with acrlyic which i have hanging around. The glass was 3/8" thick i believe the acrlyic is 1/4". I could double the acrlyic (2 pcs siliconed together) w/ some bracing strips running the full height for xtra support. This is the end that would be drilled and would not be seen at all. Am i crazy thinking this would work(i don't see why not) or should i get a new pc of glass?
Any advice or experience w/ something like this..........

bassnman11
01/31/2006, 10:17 PM
Getting a strong bond between glass and acrylic is difficult. They also have different expansion ratios so you will probably get leaks. Go for the glass.

douggiestyle
01/31/2006, 10:24 PM
had the bottom of a twenty gal break. i put a piece of 1/4 plexi over the whole bottom with silicone sealent sandwiched between. i covered the entire bottom with silicone. no leaks except silicone squirted out the bottom through the cracks.

BruiseAndy
02/01/2006, 02:05 AM
125 gallons of water on the floor will cost a lot more than a new pane of glass...i.e. money,fish,corals,marraige.

Acrylic does not bond well at all to glass and a 125G has a lot more pressure on it than a 20G.

BeanAnimal
02/01/2006, 02:45 AM
There is no way that you are going to replace the side of a glass 125 with acrylic and do it without creating a sure fire disaster. Glass is very cheap.

If you decide not to follow sound advice and move forward with this plan, please do setup a video camera :)

melev
02/01/2006, 03:26 AM
Get more 3/8" glass and do it right. If you have the glass shop make it for you, they can drill the holes as well.

windsor-aquatic
02/01/2006, 05:25 AM
Please don't try it! Do the job properly and replace the glass panel with glass; you will live to regret it if you try anything other than that.

joeski3
02/01/2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! After posting this thread i thought more about the situation. I am going to go with the replacement glass. Its the right thing to do...i realize that i dont need all that water on my floor! And i will sleep better as well.Thanks!

jmkarcz
02/01/2006, 10:09 AM
Look at it as a blessing, you can learn to drill your own hole. I'd estimate the replacement of the glass at ???30 bucks... try a hole yourself...

Jason

joeski3
02/01/2006, 12:36 PM
I've drilled holes before....I wasn't too worried about that. I called the glass shop.. $41.00! So thats good piece of mind for me. Getting the new pane on friday!;c)

cougaraug
02/01/2006, 04:53 PM
just be sure to get every trace of the old silicone off the old seam.

joeski3
02/01/2006, 05:04 PM
I still have some more scraping to do but what will get the thin layer left in the grooves?