PDA

View Full Version : hermits on a BB?

kevin21
01/31/2006, 06:35 PM
hey,

Does anyone think it would be a bad idea to have hermits in a BB system?

i have a 75g tank with only 3 mexican turbos, and 4 astrea snails...believe it or not they ate everything except corraline!

i know ill hav emore algae blooms though(i went through this on my 55).

if the hermits is not a bad idea...what are the best kinds and want quantity of each should i get for a 75g mixed reef?
this reef will have sps, clams,lps and softies(no shrooms).

kevin21
01/31/2006, 06:51 PM
bump to the top....anyone?

i need soem quick answers, i have a time limit to order these hermits and such....thanks

Pandora
01/31/2006, 07:46 PM
I think that this is more of just a hermits in an any tank question. The only diff in BB I could see is that they might not get the right footing, but they are tough little guys, I really don't see it bothering them that much if there's rock to climb on.

On the hermit general issue, people have different thoughts on them. Some do get aggressive and will do things like pull snails out of shells, kill fellow hermits for shells, and climb all over your precious SPS/clams... one of mine also ate part of the tube of my feather duster. The best of the bunch from my experience are microhermits and red leg hermits if you do get any. I personally know they do all of the above, but I still forgive them for it because I find them cute and unique, and they don't cause much permanent damage, they are just annoying sometimes. But that part is up to you, what you will put up with... many people don't like anything touching or irritating their corals.