PDA

View Full Version : Question: SO CAL Creations

kokob007
01/31/2006, 12:39 PM
I read alot of refrence to SO Cal Creations here. I got a quote for 60x24x30 acrylic 1 overflow, Stand and canopy, 36" sump/fuge.
$2,300 now i checked out some LFS and they wanted for 120 gal 60x18x24 tank, stand, Canopy. $1,100. Does this make sense?

Am i just paying extra $1,000 for the Great quality that i hear about here, and couple of gallons more?

btw still looking for a tank something like 72x24x30. Doesnt mater acrylic or glass long as its clean, stand and canopy.

bennyinca
01/31/2006, 01:01 PM
You are comparing two different tanks, not just "couple of gallons more".
I am no tank builder, but between the 2 tanks there may be differences in thickness of acrylic, and amount of materials used.
60x24x30 = 180 gal
60x18x24 = 120 gal

HTH

SirLight1337
01/31/2006, 01:02 PM
Depending on what type of bracing, how thick the stock is, and some odd legenths need to be special ordered. ( eg: a 24" tall solid peice of 1 inch acrylic at a legenth of 60" isnt cheap )

Also, socalcreations makes only high quality Acrylic tanks. Did the LFS quote you for an acrylic or glass tank? Also depending on what type of doors,wood, stain, and trim would also alter the price greatly. Also, the LFS didnt include the sump/fuge and the overflow with the price.

Just recheck all your bases. Shop around if you arent happy with the pricing you were given.

saltyDDS
01/31/2006, 01:07 PM
I can’t tell you if the quote is fair or not but your basis of comparison is not fair. I know 2 or 3 inch difference between the two dimensions that you mentioned above doesn’t sound much but it actually is. Acrylic thickness is the name of the game. Taller tanks require a thicker acrylic, which translates to more dollars.

Standard size tanks are designed and built to maximize the use of a full acrylic sheet (4 x 8). This helps in keeping the cost down. Based on your measurements, there’s a lot of wasted material and considered unusable to build any other tanks. I’m guesstimating but the LFS tank can possibly be built with 3 sheets but yours might require 5 full THICKER sheets.

HTH.

lgnd95
01/31/2006, 01:14 PM
with 30"high, they will probably use 3/4" thick acrylic and if it is eurobrace, they will probably use 1" thick. I got a quote from them with the dimension of 48x48x24 with eurobrace and they are using 1" thick acrylic.

kokob007
01/31/2006, 01:17 PM
I guess i just wait and see if used one pops up here somewhere.
Just cant afford to pay that much for the tank now, Still need to get all the other stuff. Wanted to spend $2,000 for the tank, stand, sump/fuge, lights,Skimmer,Calc reactor. :rolleyes: Am i Dreaming here? used of course.

Thanks for the explanation about the thickness and sheets. I get it.

dattack
01/31/2006, 01:45 PM
If you order a glass tank, I am sure the tank will be much cheaper.

john37
01/31/2006, 01:45 PM
you'll have to get it used then

Kinetic
01/31/2006, 01:51 PM
it makes sense. you're also getting a sump, wider tank (very good IMO), custom everything, and plus it has an overflow. Does the LFS's have an overflow?

Also it's socalcreations, they rock. =) I know you won't be dissapointed in $2300 with socalcreations.

dattack
01/31/2006, 01:59 PM
Why don't you call a few LFS and have them give you a quote? I think Anthony from Passions of the Sea can get you a good deal.

Konadog
01/31/2006, 02:10 PM
I'm sure that So. Cal. Creations is quoting you 1" thick acrylic. They won't mess around and build something you can complain about in a few years. If you want something less expensive, go with glass. You can get a very nice tank build for what you want to spend using glass instead of acrylic.
Remember, acrylic is also a petroleum product, petroleum (oil) goes up, so does acrylic, so does the price!

CW from the OC
01/31/2006, 02:51 PM
$2300 for all of that is actually a very good price in high quality acrylic. If you can't swing that much money, don't worry about it, just get the cheaper setup from the LFS.

But if you can swing the $$, I truly believe the SoCalCreatiosn will be worth the money. They seem to get really good feedback across the board.

I wish they made glass tanks as well, because I have a personal preference for glass versus acrylic, mainly due to my own clumsiness and increible skill at scratching the crap out of acrylic.

saltyDDS
01/31/2006, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6632991#post6632991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CW from the OC
mainly due to my own clumsiness and increible skill at scratching the crap out of acrylic.

LOL. I haven't learned the skill but my kids were born with the natural instinct. They love playing with the magnets. Look Daddy, your tank looks like Etch a Sketch. Now how do we erase?

Kinetic
01/31/2006, 03:38 PM
it's true, acrylic is so easy to scratch. get a little substrate, a magfloat or kent scraper, and then tears in your eyes.

kokob007
01/31/2006, 04:01 PM
I din't know glass was cheaper. Is arcylic clearer then glass, i know its lighter and scratch easily and can drill holes easily. so i guess glass is better for larger tanks?

saltyDDS
01/31/2006, 04:04 PM
No matter the size, neither is better than the other. It's ALL a matter of preference and what your priorities are (safety, scratch issues, workability, etc).

SirLight1337
01/31/2006, 04:07 PM
i personally stay away from glass tanks as i am a professional glass breaker. Ive fallen through 1" thick glass tables, glass drinking cups, broke a 40g glass tank, glass is a nono for me.

Konadog
01/31/2006, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6633576#post6633576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kokob007
I din't know glass was cheaper. Is arcylic clearer then glass, i know its lighter and scratch easily and can drill holes easily. so i guess glass is better for larger tanks? Acrylic is clearer than glass. Regular glass has a green tint to it the thicker you go, low iron glass is better, starphire is as close as you can get to acrylic IMO, no green tint.

Like saltyDDS said, it's all a mater of preference. I know I will scratch acrylic, as hard as I try not to, so I prefer glass.

Bebo77
01/31/2006, 04:43 PM
Like people said the extra price for a CUSTOM tank. You will always pay more for something custom SoCal only makes custom tanks, hence they charge more..I got my sump and stand from them.. not cheap but good work and a fair price. If you think they are expensive you should call James at Envision... but with acrylic you get what you pay for.. the best makers charge more because the tanks that they make have little to no flaws. How picky do you want to be?

I wanted the best custom tank so i went with James.. if you want a great tank for a great price try calling Scott at http://www.aquaticsystemsdesign.com/contact.php

Fmellish
01/31/2006, 04:49 PM
I went through the quoting process with them and ultimately decided I could build it cheaper and to my exact specifications if I built it myself.

I'm much happier with my design than the one they proposed. And I didn't have to shell out $1200.

My 2 cents.
Josh