PDA

View Full Version : how many fish can be kept in a 10gal nano reef?

jdeanda69
01/30/2006, 02:01 PM
i have a nano reef wondering how many fish can be kept? also i plan to put a clown, firefish, and maybe a sand sifting baby goby which is only about 1.5in. long would that be ok

idua
01/30/2006, 02:23 PM
It should be OK but it all depends whether your system and its filtration can cope with the load. I would add each fish separately and keep close eye on water parameters.

sullyfish
01/30/2006, 02:31 PM
Also be very careful when feeding that you dont overfeed. uneaten food will cause big problems in a 10g tank. Have a good cleanup crew ( snails,hermits ect..) . When I feed I put a little in at a time and only feed once a day or two.

idua
01/30/2006, 02:44 PM
Good point, sullyfish. Which brings another thing to mind, skimmer. Nutrien export is really critical and somewhat difficult in a small tank so good skimmer will defiantly help.

cubanheat1
01/30/2006, 03:00 PM
2-3 smaller fish will be fine i once had a 10g nano i had a perc, 6-line wrasse, n a high fin goby they all were great.Try to get small fish that only grow to 3in max as an adult and select nice species with interesting colors. good luck

reefwick
01/30/2006, 03:02 PM
I would advise against it. Depending on your filtration maybe 1-2 but these small tanks aren't for fish, they are for small coral gardens. 3 fish in 10 gallons of water (less after displacement), is not only irresponsible it's cruel. I think we compromise our responsibilty for our entertainment and greed way too often in this hobby.

steelhealr
01/30/2006, 03:29 PM
Whoa...not 3. I wouldn't do more than 1 if possible. SH

nikonosis
01/30/2006, 03:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6624491#post6624491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefwick
I would advise against it. Depending on your filtration maybe 1-2 but these small tanks aren't for fish, they are for small coral gardens. 3 fish in 10 gallons of water (less after displacement), is not only irresponsible it's cruel. I think we compromise our responsibilty for our entertainment and greed way too often in this hobby.

Why do you always come on everyones thread and post your opinion, not answer their question, and try to force your opinion on everyone? I saw you do it in several other threads acting like you own this msg board and hobby. It sure is weird that there are so many people on here that try and tell everyone what is cruel and what isn't. Its fish not people in his tank...

nikonosis
01/30/2006, 03:41 PM
I completely disagree that it is cruel and if you have enough live rock and a good clean up crew for your nano tank you can easily keep 2-3 fish without having any sort of problem.

reefwick
01/30/2006, 04:01 PM
Here we go another hard a$$ on an internet forum. Feel tough? I tell them because if these people did any of their own research (which most don't) they would see that 3 fish in less than 10 gallons of water is idiotic. He asked how many fish could be kept so I did answer his question (read again).

Own this forum, not at all they have mods for that but if people come on here and want to do irresponsible things i'm gonna let them know as a responsible reefer should.

So go on and be selfish and another reefer who brings down our hobby. That's your problem.

reefwick
01/30/2006, 04:05 PM
If you take notice everyone who chimes in supports my "opinion" and realizes their error. Everyone gives constuctive criticism except you tough guy. Go somewhere else, your a plague to our site.

nikonosis
01/30/2006, 04:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6625026#post6625026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefwick
If you take notice everyone who chimes in supports my "opinion" and realizes their error. Everyone gives constuctive criticism except you tough guy. Go somewhere else, your a plague to our site.

Once again its not your site. Have you paid any money to this site? Once you have then you can say its part your site. Here is another link to you being rude to the poster and not answering the question.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=763875 There is no reason for you to go into threads and just post random stuff that doesn't answer a question someone is asking.

nikonosis
01/30/2006, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6624983#post6624983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefwick
Here we go another hard a$$ on an internet forum. Feel tough? I tell them because if these people did any of their own research (which most don't) they would see that 3 fish in less than 10 gallons of water is idiotic. He asked how many fish could be kept so I did answer his question (read again).

Own this forum, not at all they have mods for that but if people come on here and want to do irresponsible things i'm gonna let them know as a responsible reefer should.

So go on and be selfish and another reefer who brings down our hobby. That's your problem.

How do you consider yourself so knowledgable when it comes to running tanks when all you have is a 24g tank and 1 year experience? Btw I have 1 year salt experience with bigger tanks than a 24g and I am purely a noob when it comes to reef tanks. I am just confused by that...

nikonosis
01/30/2006, 04:40 PM
idua and cubanheat1 didn't agree with you... steelhealr, is the only one that did. I seriously doubt he is talking about putting in large fish like tangs. He could easily have 3 small fish like gobies in his tank and there is no reason for you to tell him he can't.

nikonosis
01/30/2006, 04:53 PM
What does this kid being 9 years old http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=763555
have to do with what and how many fish he/she has in their tank? Is there a reason you couldn't just answer them instead of saying "Your 9 yrs. old?"

All Delight
01/30/2006, 04:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6624043#post6624043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdeanda69
i have a nano reef wondering how many fish can be kept? also i plan to put a clown, firefish, and maybe a sand sifting baby goby which is only about 1.5in. long would that be ok

How big will this baby goby get? Small fish typically get big(ger). You should be good for now, but you might run into problems later when the fish start growing. Some gobies can get 5 or 6 inches. Fish take a long time to grow to they're full size. Not to be negative but most people don't have they're fish long enough for them to get to full size. I usually trade my fish or give them away after 1 year. I just get bored of them, and I like to keep different fish. Use the knowledge you have and apply it.

If it were me I'd just do the clown and the goby (if its one of those gobies that max out at 1.5 inches).

Good Luck!!

nikonosis
01/30/2006, 05:05 PM
reefwick, im not going to argue with you anymore. Ill just ignore all your posts for now on.

AIMFish
01/30/2006, 05:06 PM
I'll join in on the fun and say that I have 3 fish in my 10G. :eek2: Browncheek blenny, greenbanded goby and fiji algae blenny. Yeah, they are all small and stay small and I have a protien skimmer. I wouldn't recommend it if you are fairly new and are going to be lax on your maintenance tho.

reefwick
01/30/2006, 05:11 PM
Wow your sure are a newb. I've read more in my year than most around here. Where did I (or anyone for that matter) say I was so knowledgeable??? This is a place to share opinions and information, not to show off how big your tank is and go around abd search for threads that still don't prove your point.

What does it matter what size tank I have??? Your just showing your inexperience and immaturity. You posting at all on this thread has served absolutely no purpose at all. You obviously have no knowledge when it comes to this period. When you post, make sure you have a point.

reefwick
01/30/2006, 05:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6625580#post6625580 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nikonosis
reefwick, im not going to argue with you anymore. Ill just ignore all your posts for now on.

Thank you for your effort to be productive. Hopefully you can start to help people around here.

nikonosis
01/30/2006, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6625637#post6625637 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefwick
Wow your sure are a newb. I've read more in my year than most around here. Where did I (or anyone for that matter) say I was so knowledgeable??? This is a place to share opinions and information, not to show off how big your tank is and go around abd search for threads that still don't prove your point.

What does it matter what size tank I have??? Your just showing your inexperience and immaturity. You posting at all on this thread has served absolutely no purpose at all. You obviously have no knowledge when it comes to this period. When you post, make sure you have a point.

growup and stop putting people down.

jeep4x4greg
01/30/2006, 05:47 PM
i wouldnt personally go more than one or two verrry small fishes.....

i have 2 clowns in my 20g tank, and maybe will add one more fish, goby or firefish or something like that....

im sure your tank and filter could handle the bioload of 3 w/o a problem, but then you start getting into space issues...especially if roughly 1/4-1/2 the volume of your tank is live rock, my 20 gallon tank has 20lbs of rock, and it holds 15 gallons of water after the displacement of the rock.......fo if you plan on packing the 3 fish into the equivalent of 7 gallons you might want to think again.....

just my 2 cents...let us know how it goes and what ya do :)

FishyBiz
01/30/2006, 06:13 PM
I have a 7.5 gallon with a 1" blue tang and a super tiny gold stripe maroon clown. I belive for the time being they are just fine. I also have a 120 gallon that has 10 fish in it. My point being that IMO everyone has a limit on what they can keep based on the time, commitment, and money they can or want to invest into the hobby. I am a super busy guy but still find a way to devote tons of time the small piece of ocean I have created. I dont want to get off trak from your question but you may want to think about your level of commitment to your 10 gallon before adding the fish. Yes I think it can be done but you need to stay on top of your water changes and filtration.

Jordan55
01/30/2006, 06:21 PM
I think that you can do it, as long as you do frequent water changes (say 2 gallons a week).

I mean, it all depends on how well your system is. There are people out there with your size system whose can support maybe 1 fish... and others that could do 3.

I would takei t slow, but if you be responsible, you could do it.

Cutiewitbooty
01/30/2006, 10:14 PM
I have 2 in my 10 gal (22 gal total, kinda, still waiting on 1 part)), but i wouldn't add another (i just have to keep telling myself...no more fish....no more fish.....no more fish and i can't let myself convence myself i can have another :D )

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/Amber1983/DSCF2089.jpg

Agu
01/30/2006, 11:07 PM
[flamealert]

If you have issues take it offline or use the Report This Post button..........

tia,

Mighty Quinn
01/31/2006, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6624043#post6624043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdeanda69
When it comes to the ever popular question "How many fish can I have?", a lot of people seem to only look at water quality, filtration, etc... I would ask you to consider the following scenario. Let's say that your 10 gallon nano tank was plumbed to a gigantic display tank, or better yet had a constant supply of natural salt water that kept the tank water in premium condition. You would never need to worry about nitrates, phosphates, algae problems, or other bad things that happen when your water quality stinks.

Given this "perfect" situation, how many fish could you have in your 10 gallon? Could you put 5 fish in your 10 gallon? How about 10? How about 50? Would they all get along?

The point here is that the number of fish that you can put in your tank is dependent upon lots of issues, not just water quality. Of paramount importance is the issue of space and territory. In the wild, fish get a lot of space to establish their own territories. We seldom give them the appropriate space in our tanks. The result is that if you have multiple fish in a small tank, they will constantly be stressed and susceptible to illness.

My philosophy on nano tanks is that any fish must serve a purpose. It must work for it's position in the tank. Big tanks can afford to have ornamental fish, but little nano tanks can't. In a 10 gallon nano, I would carefully select ONE fish that does a job for you, like eats algae. I would also stay away from fish that prey on sand bed and rock fauna, since our little tanks already suffer from over predation.

With respect to your specific choices for fish, here's my throughts:
1.) Clown: depending on the clown, you may be ok. Clown's are interesting in that in nature, they have a very small territory (i.e. their anemone). So, they don't get stressed out so easily in a small tank. However, they can be VERY protective of their territory if another fish is present. Also, clowns are strictly ornamental and don't "work" for you.
2.) Firefish: never had one of these guys but lots of people have them in their nanos. Again, strictly ornamental.
3.) Sand sifting goby: Bad choice. These guys prey on the things living in your sand bed and will rapidly decimate what little life your sand bed has. Once they have killed your sand bed, they will starve.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Q

Poorcollegereef
01/31/2006, 04:08 PM

The real question is how much work and money do you want to put into this tank. The more fish you want is going to make you work harder and put down more $. If you want to have an active tank, I would suggest shrimp, crabs and other inverts. They put much less of a load on the tank than fish. If that doesnt quite satisfy you, add 1 small fish. I like a clown. Another possibility is a damsel. Many people like the quick and wierd swimming pattern. I have a dominio damsel in a 5 gal. (I have alot of mature live rock and change alot of water) The Damsel is fun to watch (I named him crackhead) and he is cheap. $6 at LFS. The only probem with type is that he is really agressive so you really wont be able to add any more fish. As far as goby, I have found gobies to be fairly fickle, but thats just me. Your set up is ok, but you will have to watch it carefully. Make SURE you nano is mature and that all live rock is cured perfectly. If you are unsure about how mature you tank is, buy a small Zoo frag and let that test things out. When the Zoos are fully extended and healthy, slowly add 1 fish at a time and then wait for a month before adding the others. Check and Test regually to make sure that ammonia level are low and be extra careful about nitites since I think that controling their levels is the trickiest in small nano with heavy bioloads. Goodluck!

EDIT: I noticed that you said nano reef although it sound like you want a fishonly/fowlr system fish are ok, but if you want a true reef tank with corals and such, dont get any fish. Just a note.

rockindacheeks
01/31/2006, 07:11 PM
i have a Yellow Watchman Goby and a Clown in my tank W/O a skimmer... and i would feel comfortable enough to add another fish to it.

i believe it could be done. and i dont see a problem with the fish you want to add.

fishes2889
01/31/2006, 09:18 PM
same here rockindacheeks,

i also have a yellow watchman goby and clown in my tank ....just put them in a week ago.....12g jbj with a lighting upgrade. it is very possible to even have three in a nano such as ur 10g just depend again on what Poorcollegereef said about hier purpose and territory

Mighty Quinn
02/01/2006, 12:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6633645#post6633645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Poorcollegereef
The real question is how much work and money do you want to put into this tank. The more fish you want is going to make you work harder and put down more $.
I respectively disagree. The real question is can you provide a healthy, stress-free environment for the animals that you have taken responsibility for.

The fish, crabs, snails, shrimp, corals, anemones and other critters that we purchase for our aquariums are not disposable. Many of these animals have lifespans of decades or more. Many anemones, corals and urchins are effectively immortal, with respect to aging. It is a damn shame that so many of these animals are doomed to a premature death in our tanks.

With appropriate and responsible aquarium husbandry, you should be able to provide an environment that allows your marine charges have a natural lifespan. In fact, this should be one of your most important goals.

Q

jdeanda69
02/01/2006, 02:20 AM
of course no one wants to spend their money just to see it go down the drain. We all want to see our fish and corals etc. survice for long periods of time thats why i ask questions before i went out and purchased.

From reading everyones comments im getting mixed opinions because i see points that people are making from both sides of the question. I think only time can tell on what i can and cant put in the tank. There many factors that need to be consider and the tank is to new to decide at this point. I plan on adding things 1 at a time and see how thing work out then go from there

Poorcollegereef
02/01/2006, 02:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6637692#post6637692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mighty Quinn
I respectively disagree. The real question is can you provide a healthy, stress-free environment for the animals that you have taken responsibility for.

The fish, crabs, snails, shrimp, corals, anemones and other critters that we purchase for our aquariums are not disposable. Many of these animals have lifespans of decades or more. Many anemones, corals and urchins are effectively immortal, with respect to aging. It is a damn shame that so many of these animals are doomed to a premature death in our tanks.

With appropriate and responsible aquarium husbandry, you should be able to provide an environment that allows your marine charges have a natural lifespan. In fact, this should be one of your most important goals.

Q

I agree with trying to achieve a stress free enviroment and that is my highest goal hands down. I was commenting on the fact that many people attempt to cram alot of life into a small space without the proper labor and equipment. The less bioload then the less labor and equipment nessasary to achieve a stress free enviroment. I keep the "cheaper" fish because I am a student and I could "cry" as much for the $6 fish as anything else.

In anycase, jdeanda69 you seem to have a good mindset in how to approach the stocking of your tank, so I think you will succeed. Goodluck!

Mighty Quinn
02/01/2006, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6638296#post6638296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdeanda69
I plan on adding things 1 at a time and see how thing work out then go from there
Sounds like a good plan!

Q

NanoManMaster
02/01/2006, 02:09 PM
well personally i like alot of action so what i do is i have an oversized clean up crew i put a big sump and fuge then i put in like 6 or 7 fish and then i do good big waterchanges like 5 ot 6 gallons at a time and allways make sure everyone is happy never had a problem with my 10g and that is exactly what i did it ended up to be around 15 to 18 galons though after all the add ons