PDA

View Full Version : Metal halide

Semi newbie
04/03/2002, 10:49 AM
Quick question. I just got my new lights and was wondering when I replace my halide bulb if I have to use the same spectrum. Can you change them like that? I am pretty sure that you can't use a different wattage than what the ballast is rated for...ie...a 400 watt ballast couldn't run a 250 watt halide but does the K matter that way too? I know probably a silly question but this is my first ever experience with halides. Man is this one huge light fixture!!!!!!!!! Playfair, after I get my new lights up I will probably take you up on some frags from your tank...Thanks for the offer!!!! Lynn

Gary Majchrzak
04/03/2002, 11:11 AM
Lynn ,as long as you stick with the same wattage and format {socket screw in method/ballast combo },yes,you can exchange MH lamps for other K rated lamps "just like that"!The 400w 6500k lamp you have will make frags GROW GROW GROW!Better get shades,though! :beachbum:

Semi newbie
04/03/2002, 11:14 AM
Hey guys I have one more question. I was thinking, I was just going to hang the light fixture but I have another idea, please tell me if I am crazy. I was thinking I could cut the top of my home made canopy to just below the width and length of the lighting fixture. That way I could rest the light on top of the hood and not have it hanging with all that light spillage(it this a word???). The MH bulb would be about 6 inches from the surface of the water this way. I have sump with a fan blowing on it to help with cooling and the prism pendant has a fan in it as well for cooling. My tank stays between 78 and 80. Do you think this would work or should I just hang it??? Thanks for the advice...Lynn

Also when acclimating my tank to the new light intensity if I did it this way, I would just have the halide on for short periods in the beginning, leaving it on longer as time passes???!!!

Gary Majchrzak
04/03/2002, 11:19 AM
Lynn- you have a 44 hex,right? I would SUSPEND that fixture,as it will heat the tank even with it's shield and fan.It will also make reaching into the aquarium a heckofa lot easier!The method of light acclimation you mentioned will work.That is how I did it.

Semi newbie
04/03/2002, 11:24 AM
Very good point. I was just thinking of the light that will spill from it and trying to cut down on that a bit. Thanks for the quick responses. I have to say I am a bit intimidated by this bad boy!!!!!:eek: I will let you know how things progress.

Semi newbie
04/03/2002, 11:46 AM
Hi again. I am so thankful you all are here. I just plugged everything in to see if it worked and the actinics are fine but the metal halide will not fire up. Am I doing something wrong? Or do you think it just didn't make it in transport. It was insured so I can claim it if it is damaged but bummer!!!! Also, if you guys have hanging pendants how did you hang them? I am handywoman challenged. I think my father-in-law will help me though.

elwood1089
04/03/2002, 11:49 AM
Hello Lynn
While my experience is limited with reefs,I can tell you that very much agree with Gary. I have (2) 400 w 10K MH over my tank. The otherday I tried to grab a piece of debris out of the tank. Thank god I was wearing a polar tech fleece as I smelled the burning fabric. Had I had short sleeves, I would have been nursing a nice burn!:D So, I am now a proponent of mounting the lights in a convenient place for access. "Once burned, ...go buy another coral". At least that what I told my wife:D

Gary Majchrzak
04/03/2002, 12:11 PM
Lynn, it's natural for a halide to take several minutes to power up.It is a cool effect as well....I would seek the help of a handyperson in hanging the fixture.I'm in the middle of a tub-drain repair myself right now!

Semi newbie
04/03/2002, 02:07 PM
Well my father-in-law agreed to help me, so that is a good thing. About how long usually for them to power up? If it is spent is there a local place I can get a replacement bulb or do I need to order online? Thanks again...Lynn

Gary Majchrzak
04/03/2002, 02:23 PM
Lynn...if that light fixture was sold new from a vendor{including the MH lamp},they should replace a defective MH lamp...free of charge.They may request the defective one to be returned,so save it...

Semi newbie
04/03/2002, 02:29 PM
I got it off of someone on this board but the package was insured and was working before it left the sellers home so I can claim it with the post office. I just need to get a working lamp to see if it is indeed the lamp and not the fixture itself. The actinics are fine. Where can I get a MH bulb locally or can't I? Also, this is a venture bulb, one of those big huge ones, am I understanding correctly that I can use any 400 watt screw it horizontal bulb of any K rating I choose? I think sticking with the 65k makes sense since I have the actinics as well or am I wrong here. I would however like to get the thinner type of horizontal bulb. Am I making any sense?????

Semi newbie
04/03/2002, 02:46 PM
okay, it works and you were not kidding about sunglasses. I pretty much am blinded! In the process of setting this up I saw it is a 5k lamp. Is that bad? Do I need to replace it? If I can, I definitely want one of those thinner bulbs. Yeah, way to use the true terminology!!! :rolleyes: Thank you so much Gary for being patient with me while I messed around with this and for answering all my questions. That was very nice of you........

ReeferMac
04/03/2002, 05:08 PM
I've got a 175 Watt 5000K lamp on my refugium compliments of the kind Mr. Playfair, and compared to my Iwasaki's (who Dave absolutely hate's because they're too yellow :D ).. and even I have to admit I wouldn't want to light my reef w/ it. If you're seriously interested in keeping Acro's and the like, I'd go with either an Iwasaki 6500K or those Radium 10K bulbs.

- Mac

Zmann
04/03/2002, 05:50 PM
Semi newbie

I have a 400w 65k Iwaski bulb that was used for 1 month (if that). If you want it I'll sell it to you for $45. Iwaski 65k's are the slim line bulb.

Gary Majchrzak
04/04/2002, 12:32 AM
Nice of you Zmann!!! Lynn...he is offering you a good deal on a great lamp that is 'ideal' -because it is "broken in". Serious reefers will burn their lamps for 100 hrs. before placing it above their reeftank to "burn it in" and avoid any harmful shifts that may occur. I recommend contacting Jamie for that lamp, if for nothing more than a spare lamp.{But I think you should keep the 5k as the spare!} Glad to hear you got that thing fired up!

Semi newbie
04/04/2002, 09:48 AM
Thank you so much for the offer zmann. I would like the lamp. We have to figure out a way to connect. I am home days with my kids so you can get in touch wiht me anytime. I will PM you with my number......Lynn