PDA

View Full Version : Chelidonura Varians (Velvet Nudibranch)

MarkKlier
01/28/2006, 09:57 AM
As many of you know I have had two of these wonderful creatures in my tanks for a few months. I had mastered feeding them..and they were laying eggs about every third day. Sadly, they both died last night in a "mishap" they found the small intake to the power head.
I learned much and would like to share....
FIRST....leave these guys in the ocean, unless you are studying them.....
They eat flat worms very well...but so quickly that they run out of food. I found they could easily eat 200 flat worms a day...

Next ...what goes in comes out...their waste is very toxic. It destroyed one of my prized acanthastrea. They also leave slime trails all over the tank.

When they die...same things...I'm now running to make sure my tank does not crash....

They are very pretty and very cool...but flat worm exit works very well..and in the long run I think the Nudies will starve (as many have)..unless you set up a separate culture tank and feed them.

I may or may not study these more in the future, but I do not think it would serve people well to put them in their reef tanks...
MK

alozano
01/28/2006, 10:03 AM
sorry for your loss,

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6608185#post6608185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarkKlier

FIRST....leave these guys in the ocean, unless you are studying them.....

I believe I have read in a couple places that no nudibranch should be kept in a tank, just because no one lives ``happily'' (or at all) in a tank for a long period of time. Is this true even for lettuce nudibranchs?

Alvaro

Sherry34
01/28/2006, 10:13 AM
Thank you for the insight into the lives of nudibranchs. I have often looked at them wanting to buy one because they are sooo colorful. I have not done so because of the threads I have read regarding there feeding habits.

Again, Thank You.

weaver5
01/28/2006, 10:20 AM
Doc sorry to hear about your loss and I hope the tank does not crash. I hope everyone takes your advise and leaves them in the Ocean where they belong. good luck Scott

Guy
01/28/2006, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6608223#post6608223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alozano
Is this true even for lettuce nudibranchs?

Alvaro

Lettuce Nudibranch actually are not Nudibranch they're actually Sacoglossa. They often reproduce in a captive environment and they're not toxic as far as I know but I'd recommend not eating them :p

Gary Majchrzak
01/28/2006, 05:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6610081#post6610081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Guy
They often reproduce in a captive environment and they're not toxic as far as I know but I'd recommend not eating them :p
Why this recommendation, dude? I mean, like YOU CHOW DOWN SEA CUCUMBERS WITHOUT HESTATION! :frog:

Guy
01/29/2006, 09:33 AM
LOL

Gary Majchrzak
01/29/2006, 11:42 AM
Mark- FWIW I think you should give 'em another shot if you feel like it. The ocean is no worse because it's less two slugs.

MarksReef
01/29/2006, 12:25 PM
Sorry to hear this, Mark. I know you were having fun with those guys.