PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Toadstool

CookieJar
01/27/2006, 03:18 PM
I bought 2 toadstools about 3 weeks ago and for the 1st two weeks both looked great. Over the last week one of them has started to kind of fold over/ turn floppy. the tentacles still come out but the toadstool just doesn't look the same- not as firm, it's kind of like a wilted plant. The other toadstool seems to be doing ok still, but not quite a vibrant as when I first got it.
Does this happen to toadstools and do they come back, or could they be slowly dying?

ph: 8.0
sal: 1.025
nitrate: 15 (been that high for a while)
amm: 0
nitrite: 0
alk: 6-10 (trying to slowly increase)
temp: 79

Thanks!

Avi
01/27/2006, 03:25 PM
Hmmm...you refer to your nitrates as "high" but I don't see that as so high as having any consequence to the toadstool...Still, try to get it down. The pH is something to address....slowly get that up closer to between 8.2 and 8.3 or to 8.3. The other things I'd consider doing is making sure that it's getting sufficient light and put it in a spot in the tank that gets moderate waterflow. I bet it picks up if you take those measures. Let us know.

reefwick
01/27/2006, 03:28 PM
What kind of lighting do you have compared to what they came from? My sarcophyton elegans did the same thing for a little while then settled in. I wouldn't worry too much.

CookieJar
01/27/2006, 06:06 PM
I have 2 65W T5 (12 hrs. /day) and 2 65W acentic (14 hrs./ day).
They are in a very high flow area, if the droopy one doesn't pick up I think I'll move to a more moderate flow. Both get plenty of direct light.