PDA

View Full Version : Hello to fellow upstaters

elwood1089
04/02/2002, 12:19 PM
Just introducing myself as a newbie to reefing. I have a 187 gallon (60x24x30) reef tank that has been up and running for about 4 months now. I live in Niagara Falls, NY. I would like to "join the club". I was wondering if I have to eat bristle worms or anything to get in?:D My reef experience has been fairly smooth with a small, short outbreak of diatom. I just bought a Ca reactor. I see that some advise against setting them up on a immature tank. Any thought about that ? Currently, I am the only guy on the block who doesn't have a digital camera so no pics yet. Just wanted to say hello.

kmagyar
04/02/2002, 12:31 PM
Hmm, Initiations. that might be a good idea. Anyways, I am in North Tonawanda. I'd really like to see your reef some time soon. Might have a few guys over this wekend too. Your welcome to stop by to meet some of us. Let me know if you want to get together. I'm always looking for people on my side of the state.:)

StashuDave
04/02/2002, 01:10 PM
I'm with Keith, the only real initiation we need you to perform is to invite us over to check that sucker out! Hell, I'll even bring the Sam Adams or Coronas. I'm sure Keith or I could bring our Digi Camera and post some pics for you to make everyone jealous. Good to see someone on our side of the tracks, we need to even the numbers up with the Rochesterians. Welcome and hope to hear more from you. Dave

Playfair
04/02/2002, 01:20 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif

Your reef sounds sweet!

It scares me everytime someone from "the other side" of the state comes in, never want you guys to break off into a new chapter LOL

Zmann
04/02/2002, 07:43 PM
elwood1089

I see that your into scuba. Do you mind me asking what kind of diving you like? Do you dive local or just in warm climate? How long have you been diving and how many dives do you have? Playfair and I both dive. We like to do tropical when we can afford it but mostly dive wrecks in the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario. Would love to have another diver for some charters this summer. We can usually get enough people together to buy the whole boat which makes it nice because everyone knows each other.

Gary Majchrzak
04/03/2002, 12:21 AM
elwood1089: You are not the only one without a digital cam.Sheesh,I don't even have a Ca reactor!I'll be glad to help out with 'big tank' info,however.Good to hear you from you... Gary.

elwood1089
04/03/2002, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the welcome!!

Zmann
I am PADI certified through rescue Diver and H
have about 80 dives. My open water experience was a decent into Hulberton Quarry into 39 degree water only to surface to 1 inch of freshly fallen snow on the cars!! We did the hot water in to wetsuit thing to keep from freezing. So, you could say I have been acclimated to cold water diving.:D I have been to Toubormory, Ontario to do some wrecks up there ( minch, wetmore, sweepstakes and king) and have visited the Raleigh and Benson on the bottom of lake Erie. We do drift dives in the upper Niagara around Grand island too.

Warmer water experiences include ( in order of warming temps) Nags Heads NC, Catalina Island CA , Maui HA and Grand Cayman.

I sell medical supplies for a living and travel most of upstate NY. So, a single tank on a weeknight wound not be out of the questions as I get to Rochester a lot. I would like to plan son diving with you guys. Let me know what you think. I have done the PADI bookwork for Nitrox too but I have not do the cert classes.

Zmann
04/03/2002, 06:01 PM
Your in great!!! We also dive the Niagara River. Haven't dove Lake Erie yet but really want to. Finish up that Nitrox course its worth the extra time or safety it gives you. If you haven't dove the St. Lawrence yet your going to love it compared to the diving where you live and I live. Let me know if your planning on going to any reef meetings so we can meet and exchange phone #'s.

elwood1089
04/05/2002, 01:40 PM
a friend from a cave off lanai