PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions

jarhead
04/02/2002, 09:47 AM
My kids have been asking me for a salt water tank for a quite some time now and I have been promising one for just as long. I have picked up a 55g tank from my friend over the weekend and would like to start setting it up. I have bought a book that was recommended by this forum titled "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and currently reading it so I can get more familiar with what's involved with keeping a salt water aquarium.
I am waiting to have a stand custom built before I even move the tank into the living room. I would like to ask a few questions while I still have time (please go easy since I am new to this hobby ;) ):
[list=1]
Should I have the tank drilled (I know that the bottom of this tank is tampered glass). Where exactly should the holes be drilled, what size?
What minimum equipment is needed to start with? Can you recommend a place online where it can be purchased.
What can I use to wash the tank with (it has a lot of salt residue)? The book said not to use any soaps or regular sponges.
[/list=1]
Thanks in advance.

griss
04/02/2002, 11:22 AM
Jarhead,

[welcome]

If the bottom of the tank is tempered, you do not want to risk drilling it. You can use a bulkhead on the back glass near the top of the tank as an overflow.

Minimum equipment....Really depends upon what you want to keep. I would recommend a skimmer, sump, refugium, return pump, powerheads, wavemaker, live rock, DSB and lighting. The lighting will really depend on what type of corals you want to keep.

To wash the tank, just use tap water. If you think you need to disinfect, you can use a little bleach, but make sure you rinse the bleach out completely.

Griss

c_lou
04/02/2002, 11:40 AM
Jarhead,

I would agree with everything Griss said except, I would try White Vinegar to clean the tank.

I have used it before. It works well and you don't need to worry about any possible affects of bleach.

JMO,

Corey

jarhead
04/02/2002, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Originally posted by griss
Jarhead,

...If the bottom of the tank is tempered, you do not want to risk drilling it. You can use a bulkhead on the back glass near the top of the tank as an overflow...

Griss I wasn't going to drill the bottom-I ment the back. Is it correct that the bottom is only tampered? What size should the holes be? TIA