PDA

View Full Version : RODI Booster Pump Problem HELP

rpeeples
01/25/2006, 10:57 PM
I recently purchased a booster pump from ebay....the 5800 model with a float valve attachment/solenoid. This cuts the pump on and off based on the level of the float.

I am having a little trouble with my pump for some reason and was wondering if experienced the same.

When the pump is running it clicks on and off about every second....it seems that when the pump hits 60 psi it shuts off then turns back on when the psi hits 40...

The pump does not run at an even PSI...does that make sense? It keeps shutting on and off, back and forth between 40 and 60 psi.

I called John from Envision Devices (sold me the setup) and he said that without a pressure switch this would occur since the output is not restricted....

Obviously I am new to this system but I would think the pump would run at a constent pressure until the float valve turns the pump and the output (good water) off.

I will attached some pics shortly of the setup....hope fully they will post correctly.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks a bunch!

Ron

rpeeples
01/25/2006, 11:22 PM
Hopefully these will post correctly...be gentle I am new :D [IMG]

rpeeples
01/25/2006, 11:23 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110682mini-RODI_005.jpg

rpeeples
01/25/2006, 11:25 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110682mini-RODI_001.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110682mini-RODI_002.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110682mini-RODI_003.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110682mini-RODI_004.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/110682mini-RODI_005.jpg

poppin_fresh
01/26/2006, 11:31 AM
Ron,
your system does not look likes its plumbed correctly. I have a a system with a booster as well, and they must be hooked up correctly to work right.

1st. is that yellow line coming from above the feed line?

What are the canisters below? I'm assuming, prefilter, carbon and is that last one a DI that goes out to the barrel (blue line)?

What is that wire going into the tank? Is that for the float switch?

I am assuming that the solenoid on the outside of the barrel is the shutoff.

I believe you are going to need to replumb the whole thing, but dont panic, its simple. I made some of the same mistakes and can help. Answer those questions and I can tell you how to hook it up correctly.

rpeeples
01/26/2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the response.

There are several yellows so I will try to distinguish from one another.

The Yellow line coming out from the Orange ball Valve is the water from my house. This is fed directly to the prefilter....then the water flows into the second canister which is the Carbon Block....water then in-turn is going to the inlet of the pump.....then through the pump and directly into the TFC membrane....then from the membrane to the DI unit then the Blue line to the holding tank through the solenoid switch which is turn on/off based on the float level valve which is on the left side of the storage container.

I also spent about an hour on the phone with another distibutor on ebay fixyurwater.com. He informed me the pump that was sold to me is a deliver pump and is not made for this type of setup.

So what do I do....by yet another pump which should fix the problem. I purchased the 8800 Aquatec model which is a true Booster style pump.....I also purchased another solenoid switch to turn the main water feed line off when the pump shuts down....I did this to avoid wasting a ton of water when the pump and good output water is shut off due to the level in my storage tank.

Please tell me I did not buy another pump in vein? :))

Thanks for your help! I too will donate to RC once I kick this habit ;)

poppin_fresh
01/26/2006, 03:58 PM
Ok...
You will want to boost the water directly from the feed and then have it go into the prefilters, membrane, etc.

I was going to mention that because you have the shut off after the pump, the system is going to waste water all the time, but i think you figured that out. You will definitely want it before the pump. You will probably want to remove the one on the barrel, unless you plan on "T"ing off before it for some other reason (pressure tank, etc.).

I have the Aquatec also, it works great. It took me a couple tries to get it wired right. Its very easy, but if the series is not right the switches dont work right. Once I read the directions, it was no problem! :rolleyes:

Let me know if you have other Q's.

Saaack
01/26/2006, 05:59 PM
NO. I have a 6800 model. The directions that come with the pump clearly state to plumb it between the sediment and carbon filters. The pump diaphragms will clog with sediment if not filtered. Your plumbing looks correct. I think your problem is you have the wrong model. The 5800 is a delivery pump (intermittant use). You need a 6800 (booster pump / constant use). I presume you do want to boost your pressure, right? I bought mine because my tap pressure was only 25 PSI. The 6800 boosts this to around 90 PSI, which doubled my RO output.

rpeeples
01/26/2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the post. I agree....I was basically sold a sales pitch that the 5800 Delivery Pump was the right product...obviously after configuring, testing, and reading this feedback it was not.

So....I like to throw out this out...Buyers Beware that the Delivery Pumps are not the right pump for a RODI unit with a non-pressurized storage tank.

I purchased the 8800 Aquatec this afternoon and will be looking forward to setting the system up. I also purchased an additional solenoid to cut my main water line off to avoid copious amounts of waste water.

Thanks again for your post and hopefully this will help reefers of the future.

All this preliminary setup for the 220 coming late spring/early summer.

speedingredline
01/28/2006, 06:02 AM
where can i get the cutoff switches, as I am going to need a booster pump because of water pressure.

poppin_fresh
01/28/2006, 07:49 AM
you can get them from the same company you buy the pump from

speedingredline
01/28/2006, 12:07 PM
I have was going to by the pump from ebay. But the switch they offer appears to be for use with a pressurized tank, unless I'm reading it incorrectly. I don't plan on using the little holding tank that comes with unit I'm getting

speedingredline
01/28/2006, 02:37 PM
its the strangest thing, one phone call and bam. problem solved, I was just reading incorrectly.

rpeeples
01/28/2006, 06:51 PM
If your looking on ebay the best guy to deal with is FixYurWater.com. He sells the 6800 and 8800 Aquatec "Booster" pumps. Which will deliver a constant PSI....the 5800 model which is a "Delivery" pump with a pressure switch is not the model you want if you are using the setup shown above.

I also agree with, given the pictures above, that my solenoid switch is not set up correctly. With this setup, you will shut the water off to the storage tank, but not the feed water, hence causing much H2O waste. Once the solenoid shuts off and the pump, the feed water is still filtering through the system at my base PSI of 40. The water filtering through will only go through the waste line and not through the TFC to DI to Storage since the solenoid to the storage is OFF.

I hope that made sense.

Again, much learned from these post and actually setting up the system. Once I receive the new 8800 model and set it up, I will post some more pictures of the revised setup.

Many thanks for your replies!

speedingredline
01/28/2006, 06:56 PM
I contacted h2o something. The guy I spoke with was very helpful, and once I get everything they will help me make the best use of it.