PDA

View Full Version : mixing salt and looking for powerhead

mskohl
01/25/2006, 04:35 PM
I'm getting ready to mix salt for the first time. I'm using the 5 gal jugs that I used to get filled at the reef shop. Should I start with a 1/2 cup of salt per gallon? I think I read that somewhere.

Also, I'm going to need to get a powerhead to stir up the salt to help it mix. Anyone have one they'd part with?

Thanks,
Stephanie

captbunzo
01/25/2006, 04:56 PM
Instructions should be present on the salt bag. A believe 1/2 cup per gallon is pertty standard. However, you are going to need a tool to measure the salinity of the water your mixing. Save yourself the pain and agony and pick up a refractometer from DFS.

Super Secret Special DFS.com Refractometer Link (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11275&ref=2020&subref=AC)

Otherwise, get and calibrate a hydrometer with someone's refractometer.

A powerhead is great for circulating/airating saltwater overnight. You can get one pretty cheap at DFS, while you are at it (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4609&N=2004+113040) (if you decide to get a refractometer). :)

Travis L. Stevens
01/25/2006, 04:59 PM
With my instant ocean salt, I can use 1/2 cup (level) per gallon and yield 1.025 saltwater. I usually use a MJ1200 powerhead to mix and oxygenate the water. I usually add the venturi hose to the MJ for about an hour to make sure that it is well oxygenated. They say that your new SW should age for at least 24 hours, but I will be honest, for me, its lucky to get 2 hours of age time.

captbunzo
01/25/2006, 05:07 PM
Phew! :) And I thought I was the only one who broke the rules on using saltwater too soon! :)

luvabunny
01/25/2006, 05:35 PM
Those are the rules? I make my SW with water out of the tap, add dechlorinator, 1/2 cup per gal salt (IO), mix til it's clear and pour it in - usually about 4 gals at a time. Takes about 10 mins.

Stephanie - if you're just filling the tank for the first time, and it doesn't have anything live in it, you can also mix salt in the tank itself. I've used our outside hose to fill up our 44, 55 and 58 gal tanks several times. Just add dechlorinator and salt as you go.

Travis L. Stevens
01/25/2006, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6585592#post6585592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luvabunny
Those are the rules? I make my SW with water out of the tap, add dechlorinator, 1/2 cup per gal salt (IO), mix til it's clear and pour it in - usually about 4 gals at a time. Takes about 10 mins.

Stephanie - if you're just filling the tank for the first time, and it doesn't have anything live in it, you can also mix salt in the tank itself. I've used our outside hose to fill up our 44, 55 and 58 gal tanks several times. Just add dechlorinator and salt as you go.

They are suggested rules for optimal performance :D But I, too, use dechlorinated tap water just as you do. but I seem to have a habit of doing about 33%-50% waterchanges at a time

mskohl
01/25/2006, 06:48 PM
nah April, this tank has been running for awhile - I'm just now making my own water. I got a RO/DI unit and have been using it to top off, but hadn't gotten around to the water change.

I'm going to be filling a sump soon (I hope, I hope) so I figured I'd need more water for that too.

Thanks for the confirmations. I'll use the club's refractometer to get it right. If no one has a used powerhead, I'll just start checking around.
Thanks.

_Sooner_2
01/26/2006, 12:55 AM
Different salt brands recommend their own amount of salt per gallon. I'd just start with what they recommend and check to see if it's what you want.

I'm trying a bucket of SeaChem Reef salt. It calls for 1 cup salt per 1.5 gallons water.

I mix 3 5 gal buckets at a time. I had an old Maxijet 1200 and 400. The 1200 is great for mixing...the 400 is worthless. Recently bought a "Tom's" brand powerhead at WetPets. It said 200 gal per hr. Not as strong as a maxijet, but it was cheap (perfect for salt mixing). All of the local stores carry the MJ's or something equivalent.

I don't know about mixing for 24 hrs. I just let mine mix for 2-3 hrs. By that time, the new water is crystal clear and has no undissolved "floaties."

Ronnie

theishkid
01/26/2006, 02:11 AM
One thing I would do, and did, is to stop by home depot and pick up a standard 5 gallon bucket. I think they call them Homer Buckets or something. It makes mixing a little bit easier than trying to put salt through the little hole of our jugs, it also makes getting a powerhead in the water a little more simple. They shouldn't cost more than five bucks either but I don't remember now it's been a while since I bought one.

NewBeReef627
01/26/2006, 10:40 AM
For the ones that use tap water, have you ever tested your tap water for nitrates? I used to use tap water until I tested it for nitrates, it tested at 80. I then started using RODI I purchase from the store at the fill it yourself station. I am getting real tired of lugging around 5 and 6 gallon jugs (so is my back).

Lori

Travis L. Stevens
01/26/2006, 10:45 AM
My nitrates are actually pretty low. I don't recall off the top of my head, but I know I will never reach zero unless I stop feeding altogether and not change my water or replace evaporation for a few months :) In addition to saving up for fixing the 20g Hex and 44g pentagon, I will be saving for an RO/DI unit.

Edit: I'm sitting at about 20 ppm right now, but I'm going through a lot of changes with the 29g. It's almost ready to sit on it's new stand and have a canopy! And when I replace the water, I'm going to use RO/DI

NewBeReef627
01/26/2006, 10:56 AM
Did you ever check the nitrates in your tap water. Thats were I got the 80. Straight from the tap.

Lori

Knyght
01/26/2006, 11:15 AM
Tap water is notorious for having nasties in it, as far a using it for a sw tank.
I got my 5 stage RO/DI off of e-bay for $60. Not alot considering how much they are in a store.

:beachbum:

jaugat
01/27/2006, 11:35 PM
For those of you that use trash cans, I found an easy way to do it.

I have a 30 gallon Brute trash can on wheels.
Fill it up with RO/DI in the garage and mix the salt in with a blender.
Put a MAG 3 in the bottom of the trash can to help mix it up.

Let it sit 24 hrs, do a water change.

I don't believe you all mix salt in those tiny 5 gallon buckets with such large tanks!

Travis L. Stevens
01/30/2006, 09:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6592519#post6592519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewBeReef627
Did you ever check the nitrates in your tap water. Thats were I got the 80. Straight from the tap.

Lori

I checked it straight from my facuet again this weekend. Since it was on a color scale there is no hard facts, but it tested undetectable. But I wouldn't press it to be over 5 ppm.