PDA

View Full Version : CC Skimmer Design`

bededog
01/25/2006, 10:47 AM
I am thinking about making a CC skimmer and would like some input about what I am thinking about doing.

I am thinking about making a skimmer like the one on Snailman's site:

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/snailmandiy.htm

The FAQ section on his site talks about how a skimmer works better with less water flowing through it and it sounds reasonable. I was going to change one thing with the skimmer. Instead of using airstones I was going to us a OR 2700 or 3700 as a recirculating pump at the bottom with a venturi as the air/bubble source. Is there any reason not to do this?

One other thing about the water flowing out of the skimmer. The exit is at the bottom with a smaller pipe with a compression fitting going up parallel to the main body of the skimmer that is used to control the height of the water in the skimmer. If you look at the photo on his site there is also a anti-syphon off to the side of that pipe. Where does the water flow out of the skimmer in this design? Does it flow out of the gate valve at the bottom or out of the other pipe where the anti-syphon thingy is? I am thinking that the gate valve should be closed during use and is only there so that the skimmer can be drained. Am I right about this? If that is the case then this skimmer could easily be used next to the sump instead of as an in-sump skimmer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

scotchy
01/25/2006, 04:00 PM
Have a look at this thread. It's a different version of that one and there are many different ways of powering it. There are pictures so it is easier imo to figure out how it works.

Scott

scotchy
01/25/2006, 04:01 PM
Have a look at this thread. It's a different version of that one and there are many different ways of powering it. There are pictures so it is easier imo to figure out how it works. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=750821

Scott

bededog
01/25/2006, 04:02 PM
Ummm, which thread? Thanks for the reply.

bededog
01/25/2006, 04:03 PM
oh. there it is. Thanks again.

rich talley
01/25/2006, 08:18 PM
Yes you are correct. The valve at the bottom is to drain the skimmer. I built this skimmer and found that I neved used this valve and it takes up to much room(in sump). The vacume break consist of a T and cap with a hole drilled in it. the water comes out of the bottom of the T. As for the venturi idea theirs only one way to find out for sure and thats to give it a try. I built a 4" x 24" high and it is suffient for my 30 gallon but I personely wouldn't push it much further. then again I went with the air stones and not the venturi. I'm interested to see if venturi method works so if you do try it let me know how it performs.

bededog
01/25/2006, 10:25 PM
I will let you know. I need two skimmers so I think I will try both types. I am going to do an air stone CC skimmer that is tall and also a fat one that is shorter and use a needle wheel pump with a venturi. The NW skimmer will be recirculating with low flow.

Thanks for the post.