PDA

View Full Version : 75 g tank setup help

reptileguy
01/24/2006, 09:34 PM
looking at seting up a 75 g tank vary soon looking for some ideas/help on were to start been looking at stuff but dont know where to start as far as filters powerheads and all that good stuff any hepl would be great thanx
Adam

bertoni
01/24/2006, 09:37 PM
[welcome]

This thread is a good place to start:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848

This thread has more pointers to startup information:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166836

One good step is to think about the animals you'd like to keep. If you're interested in corals, for example, some of them can be demanding in terms of lighting. Got any ideas yet about what you'd like to have?

reptileguy
01/24/2006, 09:39 PM
im looking a some sort of reef setup and fish not sure of what kind of fish for sure

bertoni
01/24/2006, 10:41 PM
If you like reading, these books will be very helpful over the long run:

[ericsbook]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890087386/reeflink/102-3323252-4476960

I think the intro thread should be very useful at this point, too.

reptileguy
01/26/2006, 04:58 PM
cool thanx i think im going with a 75g tank and Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filter,Prizm Pro Deluxe Skimmer and im working on my lighting

ste6168
01/26/2006, 05:41 PM
i wouldnt go with a power filter unless you plan on just running carbon to polish the water. I havent really heard to much about the prizm pro skimmers, but its a HOB so it probably doesnt work very good, why not get an Aqua Clear 500 or two and do the fuge mode to them for nutrient export and use a Coralife Super Skimmer 125. My CSS 125 is working great on my 75g RR tank. Are you going to have a sump? Closed loop or powerheads? How are you going to top-off, auto or add water everyday? These are just a few questions that come to mind right away, feel free to answer those and ask some more. RC is a great place to get information and do it right the first time, rather than upgrading all the time (even though by doing it right the first time you still will want to upgrade alot)

THE_PROPAGATOR
01/26/2006, 06:17 PM
I would take "ste6168" advice and take some time to investigate the ACTUAL cost of what your wanting to achieve.
theres A big difference between fish tank and reef tank, not trying to scare you but the initial cost to start A reef tank(succesfully) can be breath taking depending on what you want to achieve. " A man does not build A house without first counting the cost" you don't want any surprises to finantualy force you out of the hobby in time to come. and remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Happy Reefing,Dan

AquaNewb
01/26/2006, 07:43 PM
hey guys,

I too have just purchased a AGA 75gal Mega-flow. I'm doing reef set-up also with minimal fish. I plan on making most of my LR, and am in the process of getting all my equipment and supplies together.
1. My question is would you get a PH monitor right away to save costs on liquid test? I'll be doing daily water tests when making rock so I can see how its curing. Is there a benefit with using the test kits?

2.what type of heaters does eveyone use? I plan on having a 29gal sump to install it / them in.

3. I plan on having a CL system. The tank is not drilled for it, But I plan on having a over the back supply. has anyone else do this besides MELEV? What size Inlet line would be good? Whats A good trustworthy CL pump (quiet). I am going to have a Mag 7 doing the return work from my sump.

Sorry if Im taking over the thread ,but it could help us both out
reptileguy.

Thank You all,

bertoni
01/26/2006, 08:40 PM
1. The pH meters or monitors are more useful than the kits, IMO, since they read a wider range and produce a number for you. They are more precise as well.

2. I use two or more Tronics, usually Tronics, along with a temperature controller or limiter of some sort.

3. I'm not very good on closed loops.

splashman
01/26/2006, 08:46 PM
Newb... for a 75 I would use 1" piping w/ 3/4" return on a CL system. make sure to buy a pre-fab overflow or have a plastic company make one for you....will save several headaches.

As for reptile I couldn't agree more with researching what you want and estimating costs. Doing it right the first time will save YEARS of headaches. I can't emphasize a sump enough...build your refuge into it...will save you a ton of headaches and will be much more asthetically pleasing.

reptileguy
01/26/2006, 10:31 PM
im not looking at runing a sump at this time due to room for it. i hope to have a houes in Aug then maybe a sump. Also i was looking at useing powerheads and toping off myself. i been reserching just so much stuff out there to use and all just trying to get a good idea of where to start