PDA

View Full Version : Ballast for VHO lighting

dnyce
01/24/2006, 05:28 PM
I purchased a used setup with 2-24 inch vho lights 75w each and 2-36 inch vho lights 95w each. toatl watts =340(4bulbs). I was told I could get a ballast from home depot and I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the hd ballast, because the Icecap is expensive. If I had to use icecap could I use the 430(320watts) or do I have to use the 660 (440 watts). Thanks

wrkinreef
01/24/2006, 06:27 PM
I would go with the ice cap 660 I have one its been great . I did see that evc has one for about 109 i think . but I would still use the ice cap

Amphiprion
01/24/2006, 06:42 PM
Not sure about the HD ballast. However, IceCap ballasts are powerhouses for VHO. You get better life, spectrum etc. with the ballast. You will spend more money on even more frequent bulb replacement than you would on the ballast--it will pay for itself in a little over a year, IME.

zimmy1979
01/25/2006, 11:42 AM
I love my icecap 660. I have 4 110 watt VHO's on it.

Entropy
01/25/2006, 11:50 AM
I think I replied to your other post, but the Fulham Workhorse 7 will work for you, but you would need two of them at $36 each from Reefgeek. I have used one on my 2x110w VHO setup for the last three years. The IceCap is nice, but the price tag is a bit steep. :(

dnyce
01/26/2006, 05:14 PM
The major difference I see with the Icecap is the heat sink and the ability to dimm the lights. I'm leaning toward taking a chance on the Fulham or the EVC. Whichever I use my next concern is where to mount the ballast, I have a corner tank and stand. No room under the stand or canopy, do you just mount it on a piece of plywood? Can you cover it up as long as you allow air flow? you guy have been very helpful, thank a lot.

WaterKeeper
01/26/2006, 06:18 PM
Hi dnyce,

With an electronic ballast like the Fulham heat is not the major concern. The electronic run far cooler than a magnetic ballast such as those offered by HD.

You do want some ventilation however as the electronic ballasts themselves like cool surroundings. They are not that large and can be mounted anywhere out of the way where they are not exposed to spilled water and can get some ventilation. This should give you an overview on lighting issues-The Lighting Thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=550860)

mattgreene22
01/28/2006, 06:55 AM
Thought you'd find this interesting too.

Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 4:06 PM
To: Greene, Matthew
Subject: RE: Can you tell me more about your VHO ballasts

Dear matt,

At this time Fulham manufacturers a ballasts for a ONE lamp VHO application only

1 X VHO lamp WH7, wiring #12

Unfortunately, we do not have a ballast to drive multiple VHO lamp application

Regards,
Dhalia

markandkristen
01/28/2006, 07:19 AM
i use the a4 ballast. like others have commented when you start skimping in saltwater you will usually be mad at yourself. what usuallly happens .. you buy the cheap stuff.. then a week or two later your not happy. then you end finding a way to buy whats right to do the job right. at least in my experience. the A4 works fine for just vhos. it doesnt have the dimmer effect like the 660 but its around 50 bucks cheaper. i love mine. at first i ran vhos 440 now im pushing normal output bulbs to 80 watts a piece been that way for about 4 months.

ralphie
01/28/2006, 10:41 AM
How about this brand (http://www.hellolights.com/22elarovhoba.html) from an HelloLights as an alternative?

WaterKeeper
01/28/2006, 10:53 AM
Hi Ralphie,

As far as I know they are fine and will run up to 2 48" VHO tubes. It seems they also back their warranty pretty well-Lighting Strike (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=608816&highlight=ARO+ballast+AS220).

oyam123
01/28/2006, 11:05 AM
you get what you pay for.....go icecap.
if you upgrade lighting, you will have better resale value,
and no one has better service.
dont be "penny wise and dollar foolish"!
good luck

Ebisan
01/28/2006, 11:39 AM
I'm using the Fulham WH7 ballast connected to 2x110W VHO with Super Actinic bulbs. Works great. The ballast gets pretty warm though.

dnyce
01/30/2006, 05:07 PM
Ok so I read the lighting thread by WaterKeeper, good stuff. Just when I thought it was over.... I found another ballast by Hamiltontechnology.com that is identical to the Icecap 660, but it has a 7ft. wire harness, a 7ft power cord with switch, no heat heat sink (but the company says it's not necessary), I guess it can go under my closed top canopy (I have 3 fans under there), will power 4 bulbs T8/T12 NO/HO/VHO and it is $124.99 . I think this is the one bcause it has everything and I don't have to do any wiring and it will fit under my canopy. If any one knows why I should or should not get this ballast speak now or forever hold your peace. I must say this is a very helpful site unlike some of the other stuffy, elitist, sites I've been to.

WaterKeeper
01/31/2006, 02:24 PM
Darn Dnyce,

We told you to buy the most expensive stuff there is or you can't be in our exclusive club. :D

The Hamilton sounds good to me.