PDA

View Full Version : Ballast for VHO lighting

dnyce
01/24/2006, 05:28 PM
I purchased a used setup with 2-24 inch vho lights 75w each and 2-36 inch vho lights 95w each. toatl watts =340(4bulbs). I was told I could get a ballast from home depot and I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the hd ballast, because the Icecap is expensive. If I had to use icecap could I use the 430(320watts) or do I have to use the 660 (440 watts). Thanks

wrkinreef
01/24/2006, 06:27 PM
I would go with the ice cap 660 I have one its been great . I did see that evc has one for about 109 i think . but I would still use the ice cap

Amphiprion
01/24/2006, 06:42 PM
Not sure about the HD ballast. However, IceCap ballasts are powerhouses for VHO. You get better life, spectrum etc. with the ballast. You will spend more money on even more frequent bulb replacement than you would on the ballast--it will pay for itself in a little over a year, IME.

zimmy1979
01/25/2006, 11:42 AM
I love my icecap 660. I have 4 110 watt VHO's on it.

Entropy
01/25/2006, 11:50 AM
I think I replied to your other post, but the Fulham Workhorse 7 will work for you, but you would need two of them at $36 each from Reefgeek. I have used one on my 2x110w VHO setup for the last three years. The IceCap is nice, but the price tag is a bit steep. :(

dnyce
01/26/2006, 05:14 PM
The major difference I see with the Icecap is the heat sink and the ability to dimm the lights. I'm leaning toward taking a chance on the Fulham or the EVC. Whichever I use my next concern is where to mount the ballast, I have a corner tank and stand. No room under the stand or canopy, do you just mount it on a piece of plywood? Can you cover it up as long as you allow air flow? you guy have been very helpful, thank a lot.

WaterKeeper
01/26/2006, 06:18 PM
Hi dnyce,

With an electronic ballast like the Fulham heat is not the major concern. The electronic run far cooler than a magnetic ballast such as those offered by HD.

You do want some ventilation however as the electronic ballasts themselves like cool surroundings. They are not that large and can be mounted anywhere out of the way where they are not exposed to spilled water and can get some ventilation. This should give you an overview on lighting issues-The Lighting Thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=550860)

mattgreene22
01/28/2006, 06:55 AM
Thought you'd find this interesting too.