PDA

View Full Version : thought on a marine betta in a 37 gallon, please

mmd
01/22/2006, 08:33 PM
I have a 4 inch marine betta in my 65(my favorite fish).
I may downsize to a 37 and was wondering if it would be acceptable (acceptable as in ok for the fish and it's well being), im aware they have potential to 8" but believe 6" is more common, and given that they are slow swimming and very inactive often spending long hours in same spot (ambush predator) i'm thinking it might be ok, i know my anthia would have to go, and he (betta)and a precula would be the only fish in the 37 reef (20 long by 18 wide by 22 high).....any thoughts?

moogoomoogoo
01/23/2006, 12:54 PM
I think this would be OK. I had one in a 55 for years. Never got bigger then 5-6 inches. Only saw him swim across the entire tank perhaps a dozen times the whole time. In this more confined space he may decide to make lunch out of your percula however.

Jens Kallmeyer
01/23/2006, 05:50 PM
HI Michael

I wouldn't do it. Although marine Bettas are almost as much of a swimmer as a stone fish, they still need some space to move, which it hardly can in 37 gal. Find it a good 100 gal home somewhere at ctars (I am sure you will) and get some nice and small fishes that fit into 37 gal. I don't want to play the betta version of tang police, but I still think that a betta in such a small tank just isn't right.

Best wishes and hopefully see you on Sunday

Jens

mmd
01/23/2006, 06:24 PM
thanks guys...
ens if i keep him i will keep him in his current 65...if i decide to go 37, then i will post on ctars......