PDA

View Full Version : Help with refugium return

frostbite
03/31/2002, 11:30 PM
I am planning on setting up a refugium for my tank, I plan on getting a tank thats the same width and depth as my tank (2'x1'6) and it'll just sit right next to my main tank. water will be pump up from the sump below and enter at about mid hight and I'll have to some how figure out a way to raise the refugium tank so the water level is a little higher then the main tank. And I'll use a overflow box to return the water to the main tank by gravity. I'll use 5" DSB with LR to start in the refugium. How does this sound? does it make sense to have such a deep refugium? Is there any way I can design the return so as to encurage more critter to travel to the main tank from the refugium? Also, what kind of light would every recommand for refugium?

frostbite
04/01/2002, 09:13 AM
bump :confused:

Abet
04/01/2002, 10:01 AM
Hello,
I have my sump and refugium underneath my 180 and I still notice that critters from the refugium are getting through the mag pump.
I have an overflow from my ref feeding my sump and a pump driving the water back to the main tank.
I also have a 6-8 in DSB in my ref, that was when I found out that 6 is the optimum depth (Dr. Shimeck).
I'm not sure if there is a way to encourage critter transfer but in my other tank where the main tank is gravity fed by the ref, I have noticed that pods have a tendency to swim around the tank and get caught in the overflow drain, that is when I see them get transferred from the tanks. Otherwise, the pump sucking them through is the best way. Although, I cannot vouch for them coming through alive all the time.