PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer ?

Daddeo
01/21/2006, 06:39 PM
Which one is the best and easiest to use?

stingers81
01/21/2006, 06:49 PM
THey are all good and easy to use

if you want a cheap one check out ebay...you can get one for $34 plus shipping

Daddeo
01/21/2006, 07:19 PM
That sounds pretty good but I know some of them have to be re-calibrated everytime with RO water to be accurate. I guess I'm looking for the one that does not require this. Thanks for the reply.

roons
01/21/2006, 07:30 PM
i check mine maybe ever 4 months , it never really gets out of whack, i got the blue one from premium aquatics, checking isnt much more work than checking your tank water so im not sure why youd want to shy away from this.............

sidjam
01/21/2006, 08:19 PM
i saw a thread where there were some issues with calibation on the marinedepot refractormeters. using ro water to calibrate to zero was giving a false reading. not sure what brand it was, but i think i saw the thread on the chemistry forum.

roons
01/21/2006, 08:35 PM
mmmmm, i checked mine using randys solution, he said its good to do when you first get it to make sure it was made properly, it was right on................after that i just use the ro/di

Daddeo
01/21/2006, 10:21 PM
roons- I'm not wanting to shy away from anything. I vaguely remember something about one or maybe a few units not being exact like sidjam. I guess my question was one I could answer on my own but wanted an outside opinion, two or more heads think better than one sometimes.....