PDA

View Full Version : Sump Design

rdnyva
01/21/2006, 08:42 AM
I'm designing a sump for my new 125 (72x18x24) which should arrive early February. I've come up with 2 basic designs. I'd welcome some input and critique on these before I start putting it together. Drawing is not to scale and I plan on using a 45 long or a standard 55. Opinions please. Thanks

rdnyva
01/21/2006, 10:18 AM
what? No one has an opinion?

rdmpe
01/21/2006, 10:18 AM
If you have all of your sump flow through your fuge you may have more flow through there than you really want. I like having my fuge set up with a seperate water feed so that I can control the flow through the fuge no matter what the flow through the sump is. Seems like a more flexible system to me. I also have my fuge fed from a tee off my sump return pump. I would rather have skimmed water come through the fuge personally since I'd rather have the skimmer pull as much gunk out as possible and let the fuge take the remainder.

So I would take your second option and modify it to have a fuge on one side and the sump/skimmer on the other side, with the return chamber in the middle. You can then feed the fuge with a tee off one of your drains, or feed the fuge with a tee off your return pump.

rdnyva
01/21/2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks, hadn't thought or that. Back to the drawing board. I like the part about teeing off from the return.