PDA

View Full Version : ARO electronic and XM 10K

WessB
01/20/2006, 01:42 PM
I am beating my head against the wall here. Is anyone running the combination of ARO 250W electronic ballast and an XM 10 K bulb that is having problems? The ballast fired the bulb fine for the first couple of days but then it quit firing it. I could sometimes get it to light by unplugging it and trying again a couple of times. It will fire the XM 15K almost instantly. When I put the 10K back in I can hear the ballast " buzzing " trying to fire the lamp but after 5 minutes or less it just goes silent. I have this set up on a "reefkeeper" but have had the same results plugged into a completely different circuit without the reefkeeper. The peolpe I got the bulb from are saying there is a " known issue " with electronic ballasts and XM 10K`s as far as "icecap" goes, they have not heard of ARO issues...are others having issues with ARO ballasts and XM 10K`s?????? Any ideas either way....my thought is the ballast is giving up trying to fire to soon. With respect/kudos to "hellolights" they are sending me a replacement ballast either way.....I am leaving for an 8 day vacation next weekend and hate to leave this system unreliable, so the 15K will be in for a little while to come....HELP..."Reef Tank Lighting " is recommending using a 10K Hamilton to solve the problem !!!!

Wess

WessB
01/20/2006, 03:49 PM
I just realized I didn`t mention this is DE.

Bebo77
01/20/2006, 04:48 PM
its the XM bulbs i am having the same trouble with my icecaps and the XM's i think XM has some serious deign issues.

rockindacheeks
01/20/2006, 05:16 PM
Ice Cap is the only ballast that wont fire an XM...

but the problem is with the XM's???

WessB
01/20/2006, 05:31 PM
My point in asking here!!!! ...have read many times, and confirmed by "Reef Tank Lighting" there is a "known" issue with icecap and XM10K, so be it, not my point anyway, I agree with you Dan....was hoping to find out if ARO users are starting to have any problems..or better yet, answers to my problem..LOL

Wess

rockindacheeks
01/20/2006, 05:38 PM
sorry i couldnt answer your question... but hopefully that ballast Hellolights is sending you will fix your problem...

WessB
01/20/2006, 07:42 PM
Didn`t mean to sound like I was coming down on you..by any means...you raised a very valid point, that I agreed with..I dont think there is a problem with the bulbs " in general " but specific instances with ballasts other than icecap that might get rolled into the same scenario......I`m trying to discover if there is an issue with ARO ballasts if one in fact does exist..and I`m not saying one does...merely trying to see if others are experiencing a similar problem...Hellolights have been more than understanding in this whole issue and are as eager as I am to find out if a problem does exist, although their stand is .." it is the bulb "...only time will tell..

Wess

WessB
01/21/2006, 11:45 AM
Shameless bump

moonpod
01/21/2006, 01:03 PM
My understanding is that it's the bulb design. Something about the way the bulb is made requires an inordinate amount of current or something like that to start it up. The gas chamber is longer than usually or something. Therefore the IC ballast detects it as a misfire or something like that and won't fire it up. Similarly the 150w DE Radium won't fire up reliably on an IC ballast either. Some of the other electronics aren't quite so picky and will fire 'em and magnetics of course will fire 'em.

rockindacheeks
01/21/2006, 07:54 PM
im sure every company that makes halide lamps has a few bad apples... not just XM... i love my XM. i run a 150 20K on an ARO E ballast and no problems yet...

DrBDC
01/21/2006, 08:23 PM
I run the xm10,000k's on an ARO ballast but they are 175's. I know, not much help.

jefathome
03/02/2006, 08:43 PM
Any updates on this?

BWilfong
03/03/2006, 02:02 AM
I run 250 SE on ARO, no problems as of yet - been 2 months

Justdrew
03/03/2006, 02:14 AM
I used to run an XM 15K on an ARO e-ballast and a Coralvue e-ballast. Both ballasts had problem firing the bulb. I switched to a Phoenix bulb and both fire it up immediatley.

tangwang
03/03/2006, 07:42 AM
Just an FYI, The ARO 250w is identicle to the IC 250w, just has a different label... I know a few people who can't get them to fire XDE 10000k's

DrBDC
03/03/2006, 08:18 AM
They can't be the same. Icecap ballasts will interfere with controllers due to the "noise" produced interfering with the X10 signals. ARO have no problems.

Chris@IceCap
03/03/2006, 09:06 AM
IceCap Update:

The IceCap ballast won't fire XM bulbs is ancient history from about 3-4 years ago. Shortly after XM bulbs were available on the market they became aware or their design problems and quickly fixed this problem. There are zero issues with IceCap and XM bulbs!

As for the IceCap 150-MH and Radium problems, this has also been addressed and about 2-3 years ago we changed a 150-MH design and now everything is fine.

Finally addressing the "noise" rumor, IceCap ballasts produce no more noise than any other electronic ballast manufacturer. X10 technology can be very flaky and problems are unfortunately blamed on the ballast. The reason why you hear of more X10 issues with IceCap ballasts is simply because we outsell all of the other brands combined in the aquarium hobby.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

jefathome
03/03/2006, 12:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6870836#post6870836 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris@IceCap
IceCap Update:

The IceCap ballast won't fire XM bulbs is ancient history from about 3-4 years ago. Shortly after XM bulbs were available on the market they became aware or their design problems and quickly fixed this problem. There are zero issues with IceCap and XM bulbs!

As for the IceCap 150-MH and Radium problems, this has also been addressed and about 2-3 years ago we changed a 150-MH design and now everything is fine.

Finally addressing the "noise" rumor, IceCap ballasts produce no more noise than any other electronic ballast manufacturer. X10 technology can be very flaky and problems are unfortunately blamed on the ballast. The reason why you hear of more X10 issues with IceCap ballasts is simply because we outsell all of the other brands combined in the aquarium hobby.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

I notice you didn't address the "IceCap is the same as an ARO" comment. ;)

Chris@IceCap
03/03/2006, 01:23 PM
I've only seen pictures of the ARO ballast, never had one in my hands or tested them. It wouldn't be proper of me to comment that they're the same or not since I'm not sure.

If anyone is will to send me one I'd be happy to look into this.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

Medicine Man
03/03/2006, 02:06 PM
Just FYI I own an electronic ARO 250 MH ballast and 3 Icecap 250 MH all running XM 10K SE 250 watt bulbs on all 4 ballast. The Icecap ballast clearly drives the XM 10k brighter than the ARO. It's night and day! I have never had any problems with either ballast firing the XM bulbs.

RichConley
03/03/2006, 02:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6870836#post6870836 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris@IceCap
IceCap Update:

Chris
IceCap Inc.

My Icecap wont fire my XM DE bulbs.

Then again, enither will my ARO e-ballast.

My brother's mag ballasts will....

Chris@IceCap
03/03/2006, 02:11 PM
This is this first time ever I'm glad to hear that someone bought a ARO ballast.

LOL

Chris
IceCap Inc.

Chris@IceCap
03/03/2006, 02:15 PM
RichConley:

That sounds like a bad XM bulb to me! Try to return it to Hellolights/XM Lighting (Same Company) for a new one.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

RichConley
03/03/2006, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6872898#post6872898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris@IceCap
RichConley:

That sounds like a bad XM bulb to me! Try to return it to Hellolights/XM Lighting (Same Company) for a new one.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

I can't, I'm basically SOL. I bought it 6 months or so, and didnt get around to trying it until recently, and dont have the packing slip/reciept.

DrBDC
03/03/2006, 02:19 PM
There's no way that an ARO ballast is a repackaged Icecap ballast. On an Iwasaki bulb there is almost 50 PAR more with the Icecap. Here's a link which shows some various ballast bulb combinations and outputs:

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Bebo77
03/03/2006, 03:36 PM
i have 4 icecaps powering 4 pfo mini pendants and 4 250 watt DE XM bulbs.. they light 20%of the time(at best).. i bought Ushio 14K DE and they light every single time, never had a problem...

RichConley
03/03/2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I'm using AB10Ks now, and they start right up.

jefathome
03/03/2006, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6872509#post6872509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris@IceCap
I've only seen pictures of the ARO ballast, never had one in my hands or tested them. It wouldn't be proper of me to comment that they're the same or not since I'm not sure.

If anyone is will to send me one I'd be happy to look into this.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

Well, if you've never held one, then it is safe to assume that it isn't an unbranded ballast made by IceCap ;):thumbsup: