PDA

View Full Version : Looking for water test kits...

NanoCube-boy
01/17/2006, 09:14 PM
Hey every, I'm looking for another test kit for pH, amonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I'm not satisfied with my Saltwater Master Kit because it gives me a false reading which I believed.

The kit keep saying 15ppm when I already did a 100percent water change. I also test the water in my q.t. and the test said the same thing, 15ppm.

What other kits out there besides master kit taht comes with all 4 test? Oh, is there any good calcium test you would recommend me?

javajaws
01/17/2006, 09:56 PM
I use mostly Salifert tests. I wouldn't bother testing nitrite...save your money and buy a magnesium test or something else instead.

I'd get:

Ammonia (if still cycling your tank)
PO4
NO3
Ca
Alk
Mg

pH meter w/probe

NanoCube-boy
01/17/2006, 10:17 PM
Are they come in single or set? what is PO4, is that pH?

Why measure Mg and Alk? Aren't they part of Calcium?

I used C Balance and it replinished Mg, calcium, strontium and small amount of trace element.

javajaws
01/17/2006, 10:23 PM
PO4 - phosphate. Measuring Alk is not the same as measuring Ca. Mg is important for calcification (don't worry if you have a FOWLR tank).

Check out the various Ca/Alk articles mentioned here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

javajaws
01/17/2006, 10:25 PM
Sorry...missed your other question...they are packaged separately. Some vendors have "package" deals, but they are the same tests just sold together....and you may be forced to buy a test you don't want in those package deals as well.

NanoCube-boy
01/18/2006, 06:06 PM
i see.