PDA

View Full Version : What reef books do you actually use?

iaJim
01/17/2006, 10:17 AM
Not just which ones you own, but where have you all learned so dang much about reef keeping?

Another question....what's a good resource for learning about reef plumbing. I need to know about such things as noise reducers etc.

npaden
01/17/2006, 11:19 AM
I use Joyce Wilkerson's clownfish book probably the most for references as I'm raising clownfish.

To be honest I have a lot of other books but I don't use them very often.

FWIW, Nathan

iaJim
01/17/2006, 01:05 PM
That's my worry. I buy books, read a few pages, and decide that either I can't understand them or that they are talking about things I already know, or that don't pertain to my tank. I'd like to find a book that was as easy to use and as full of info as this forum is. I have Deelbeck and Sprung's first book together. Reviews on parts 2 & 3?

hcahan
01/17/2006, 01:07 PM
Like the pocket expert marine fishes and corals books. Really like Bornemans Aquarium corals when I have a tougher question.

MiddletonMark
01/17/2006, 01:09 PM
While I read and enjoyed a number of books - I refer to Scott Michael's reef-fish series [and pocket guide] as well as Borneman's coral book regularly still.

The rest of them were useful for learning ... but I don't reference often or at all. Should have just got them from the library ...

andycook
01/17/2006, 01:12 PM
I go back to these two time and time again.

Book of Coral Propagation V.1 by A. Calfo

Aquatic Systems Engineering by P. Escobal.

gman0526
01/17/2006, 01:42 PM
Corals of the World by Dr. Veron for coral ID's

Everything else... my search function on RC :D I'd rather get unbiased opinions from hobbyists.

Shooter9er
01/17/2006, 01:59 PM
Another vote for Corals of the World by Dr. Veron for coral ID's

KDodds
01/17/2006, 02:47 PM
TCMA, "Marine Fishes" Pocket Guide and it's "Marine Invertebrates" companion, "Reef Fishes" series, the Delbeek and Sprung series. Often overlooked, "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" series by Fossa and Nilsen, as well as the "condensed version" Reef Secrets, are awesome. Can't leave out Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" as probably the best hobby reference for corals out there. Tullock's "Natural Reef Aquariums" is good as well. He's also coming out with a beginner's book, and so is Carl DelFavero from a troubleshooting/problem solving standpoint.

thehedge
01/17/2006, 04:53 PM
I learned the most from Reef Aquarium Volumes 1-3 by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek...

But I use Corals by Sprung, Inverts by Sprung, Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael, and Marine Inverts by Michael for most of my identification.

For local Hawaiian Species, I use Hawaii's Fishes and Hawaii's Inverts by John Hoover.

SDguy
01/17/2006, 05:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6521245#post6521245 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andycook
I go back to these two time and time again.

Book of Coral Propagation V.1 by A. Calfo

Aquatic Systems Engineering by P. Escobal.

I couldn't agree more!!

richardf
01/18/2006, 12:47 AM
I bought Reef Aquarium Volume 3 by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek two weeks ago on Marinedepot for like $68 plus shipping.

So far I have read about half of it, I have a hard time understanding some of it, mostly because I am still new, but overall I really enjoy the book. I don't have a tank setup yet, so I can't speak for using a certain book while operating a tank.

I also read The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. I read this book about a month ago, and really really enjoyed it. I found alot of great information in this book and would reccomend it to almost everyone. Someone with a lot of reef experience may not find a lot of new information in it though.

Brad W
01/18/2006, 01:15 AM
All of the Scott Michael fish books.

reefboyjim
01/18/2006, 01:34 AM
I continuously refer back to the book of coral propagation and the reef aquarium book myself. Both of those books have alot of great information in them. I highly recomend either one or both.